• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I have found my "Dream Coin"

33 posts in this topic

My sole collecting focus in the comic collecting hobby is early Superman comics and related items. This 1952 Superbird Washington quarter was brought to my attention yesterday, and I was in awe. :cloud9:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5392&universeid=313

I wonder how hard it would be to obtain a proof cameo? hm

You see cameo and dcam every know and then but they sell for big bucks.

I saw a PR66DCAM sell for over $4600.

:eek: I was hoping I could get a decent coin for about $1000

Dude, that is frickin cool. I have NEVER EVER heard of that in my life! I just learned something new! You should get one. Heck, maybe I WILL!!! lol Very Cool!
Do I get to get mine first? :grin:

Dude, that is frickin cool. I have NEVER EVER heard of that in my life! I just learned something new! You should get one. Heck, maybe I WILL!!! lol Very Cool!
Do I get to get mine first? :grin:

Yes, you really should; think I'll stick with Walkers only. That coin was retroactively minted with you in mind! :)

You just missed out

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1144&Lot_No=9504

Yes, something like that would be perfect.

many out there yet to be discovered

i would just keep looking at every 1952 proof quarter slabbed or not and get one that is not yet discovered and then buy it and send it into ngc and get the attribution yourself

greatly hyped the last few years

so find one yourself and get it slabbed or upgraded in the slab with the attribution

good luck

patience wins all and you will find one if you keep looking

I learned something new too.

As I was actually born in 1952 (and had every Superman comic from 1959 thru 1964 until I lent them to my drummer and his mother "recycled" them) this is now on my want list.

many out there yet to be discovered

i would just keep looking at every 1952 proof quarter slabbed or not and get one that is not yet discovered and then buy it and send it into ngc and get the attribution yourself

greatly hyped the last few years

so find one yourself and get it slabbed or upgraded in the slab with the attribution

good luck

patience wins all and you will find one if you keep looking

Michael is 100% correct. I have cherrypicked one of these myself, and suspect they are more common than prices suggest.

In my opinion, if the coin had not been given an uber-cool name like "Superbird" then it would never have achieved such a following since it is quite a minor disturbance in the breast feathers.

Agreed Tom, there's not a whole lot there. Besides a little "s" shaped mark in the breast feathers, and with a cool name on the slab. I've been interested in them too, as washingtons are my favorite series to collect, but I don't do proofs.

In my opinion, if the coin had not been given an uber-cool name like "Superbird" then it would never have achieved such a following since it is quite a minor disturbance in the breast feathers.

(thumbs u

i did not want to say this as you really think it is cool but slabbed examples in a nice proof 65 grade are only 90 dollar coins

a really minor disturbance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(thumbs u

i did not want to say this as you really think it is cool but slabbed examples in a nice proof 65 grade are only 90 dollar coins

a really minor disturbance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does look a little crudely done....still cool, though!

Seems I am not aware of many of the good spots to look for coins, if anyone is able to locate this in NGC PR67 Cameo or slightly better, I would be more than happy to Paypal $50 I would have to purchase it though or, the courtesy offer is void. It would have to be a Proof Cameo 67 or better in a NGC holder only.

Mike

A few years ago, I purchased one graded by PCGS (sight unseen) from a very reputable and well known dealer who was selling the Superbird collection for a close friend. Though I don't collect Washington's, I thought it would be a nice coin to have in my "Errors & Varieties" collection. When I received the coin, I had to look at it under my microscope and use a little bit of imagination to see it. Needless to say, I sent it back and got a refund, but I don't think he was happy about it.

Collectors may call it "Superbird", but I thought it was "Superblah".

Chris

Chris, if you had to try that hard, it probably wasn't a superbird. I'm pretty sure you can tell under 10x and it seems to be at least semi obvious. And, like you guys, I'm sure it was one of those on purpose errors.

Chris, if you had to try that hard, it probably wasn't a superbird. I'm pretty sure you can tell under 10x and it seems to be at least semi obvious. And, like you guys, I'm sure it was one of those on purpose errors.

Oh, it was authentic enough, but when I spoke to the seller on the phone, he explained that LDS specimens were much harder to see.

Chris

i dont think ngc reconizes this variety on the holder anymore

the 1952 superbird quarter so you might need to find one in a proof 67 holder ngc cameo with no wording on the ngc holder that say it is a superbird quarter

I have been informed that Heritage has a make an offer option. I'll give this route a try. If not, I will be very patient and wait for the right coin to show up.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone,

Mike

The person refused my offer on the Heritage coin. No counter offer.

I'm not surprised, b/c I really think that its a dumb idea for Heritage to do this. Some people are made offers and they don't even know or realize that it is possible for buyers to do this. Heritage doesn't ask permission of these people; they just do it. These people don't know about this function and they USUALLY have no intention of selling. I thought of trying it, too, but I really doubt that it would work, unless you offer an astronomical, foolish amount. Anyway....I'm sorry to hear that you struck out.

The person refused my offer on the Heritage coin. No counter offer.

I'm not surprised, b/c I really think that its a dumb idea for Heritage to do this. Some people are made offers and they don't even know or realize that it is possible for buyers to do this. Heritage doesn't ask permission of these people; they just do it. These people don't know about this function and they USUALLY have no intention of selling. I thought of trying it, too, but I really doubt that it would work, unless you offer an astronomical, foolish amount. Anyway....I'm sorry to hear that you struck out.

I'm not suprised either. I actually felt a little weird doing it.