• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson registry points info

9 posts in this topic

I had registered these two jeffs in my registry:

1969s PF68UC - 6 points

1970s PF68UC - 6 points

I just replaced these with the following:

1969s PF69 Cameo - still 6 points

1970s PF69 Cameo - went to 3 points

It gave me the same points for my 1969 and dropped me 3 points for my 1970. I figured with these being a higher grade, higher value, that the points would be higher also. Does it not work this way?

I understand your confusion Bob...I realize how hard it would be for the registry to be consistent across series in points --can't compare every coin vs each other, it's hard enough to compare within the same series( heck, most modern proofs and the bullion ASE series that can be purchased for 50 bucks or so and have thousands of specimens, these coins get several hundred points and 100 year old coins that cost $200 and pops in the low hundreds may get half the points...but I don't care about overall points, just points within the sets )...yet sometimes I get frustrated that many coins just get the standard 3 points..

Example: My 1915 VG10 Barber Half with a super low mintage ( half that of the 1916-D mercury dime) costs $150-$200 yet only gets 3 points...oh well, I'm just trying to fill slots with nice coins anyhow--but again, I completely feel your pain brother.....

I had emailed NGC a while back about this series needing a look as far as points are concerned. I agree, they definitely need an overhaul! You may want to touch base with them again and see what they have to say.

Good Luck,

Brian

Apparently that doesn't do any good either.

Re-evaluation of Jefferson Nickels

An NGC rep told me in May 2009 that the scores would be updated. I have checked back twice with no results.

Well I did email NGC, so I guess we'll see what happens there. The points aren't really all that big of deal to me as I'll never be #1, but it did make me curious as to how they determine these points. It looks to be a very inconsistent method.

The solution is simple.... tie the points to the price guide. Problem solved.

Prices change rapidly for many series, and this would make it a nightmare to manage. What about basing the scores on the coin's relative rarity and population (factoring how quickly the population has changed in the five years immediately preceding - if the same coin stays at 30/0 for ten years, then we can probably guess that the odds that a whole federal reserve brick will be discovered tomorrow are less likely, especially for the dates before the 1970s). Also as Jamie points out, there are several coins that don't have price guide values for the Jefferson series and for others as well. What do you do in that instance? Truly top pop coins probably don't trade that often.