• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playing with MS70

12 posts in this topic

So I had this very unattractive 1976S BU Kennedy and wanted to play with the MS70 I just bought. I know it isnt the best coin on the market, but it is just fine in the slot in my dansco album and it would be easy to replace if I ruined it. What do you think on how I did. I knew the fingerprints wouldnt totally be gone, but it looks much better in hand. The residue of what ever was on the obverse is totally gone. Before and after photos are posted.

10hue4n.jpg

2en51nc.jpg

w8l2jk.jpg

eqavyf.jpg

169ovoz.jpg

Nice results, erwindoc. I have just a few questions that would make me better understand your useage of this product, if you do not mind?

1. How did you apply the MS70?

2. How long did you leave it on the surfaces?

3. How many times did you make the application?

4. How did you rinse(or remove the MS70)?

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Nice results, erwindoc. I have just a few questions that would make me better understand your useage of this product, if you do not mind?

1. How did you apply the MS70?

2. How long did you leave it on the surfaces?

3. How many times did you make the application?

4. How did you rinse(or remove the MS70)?

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

I'd like to know, too, please!

Chris

I took the product and used a saturated q-tip and let it drop on the surface of the coin on both sides using several drops. Next I carefully rolled the q-tip to make sure that the surface was evenly covered, then rinsed thoroughly with water for several minutes. I only treated it once and I guess after all was said and done it was in contact with the MS70 about a minute possibly a little longer. It was really cool to watch that stuff on the cheek disappear when the drop of MS70 hit it. I have to say I was very impressed with the product. From what I have read about the product in other posts here and ATS is that you have to be somewhat selective on what coins you use it on. I have read that copper is a no-no and so are coins under AU. I also read that you need to make sure that all the MS70 is removed and one person suggested using acetone to get all the residue off. I am by no means in favor of cleaning coins, but it did a heck of a job on mine and it is staying in my album.

I also had some impaired proof half dollar coins that I found roll searching I experimented with first. I wish I had taken before and after pics because they were even more impressive. I played with them because I though they would show more hairlines if the q-tip was going to damage the coin as I rolled it across the surface. The fingerprints and debris just disappeared. One came out so well, I thought about putting it in my album as a keeper but there us just a little rub on the cameo devices from being in the roll. I have an impaired quarter proof that I havent toyed with. Maybe I will post before and after pics of it if it comes out as good.

I think there is an inherent danger to using this type of product. Even if the results work out.

I've heard that MS70 may affect the color on proof copper but I've never heard of any problems with gold or silver coins althought removing a dirty grimey film from the surfaces of a coin may expose hairlines that wouldn't be otherwise visible.

Looks like people here are applauding a coin doctor. hm

My only reason for wanting to know is because I have some proof coins that I want to put into a Dansco, and they have spots on them that I want removed. I can't afford to send everything to NCS, and some of them really aren't worth that expense anyway.

I'm really not very knowledgeable on this topic, but isn't a coin doctor one who tinkers with the natural or actual appearance of a coin with the intent to deceive others?

Best wishes for the holidays, Greg!

Chris

I'm really not very knowledgeable on this topic, but isn't a coin doctor one who tinkers with the natural or actual appearance of a coin with the intent to deceive others?

Like removing spots, fingerprints, and toning?

I absolutely don't think the OP did anything wrong, but this just shows the hypocritical line a lot of posters both here and ATS have drawn when it comes to doctoring. Either doctoring* is good or bad, but not both.

*I'm not referring to the (hopefully) clear cases of removing things like PVC from a coin.

Like removing spots, fingerprints, and toning?

I was thinking more along the lines of puttying, thumbing, coloring, whizzing, etc.

Chris