• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade opinions on this coin?

19 posts in this topic

What do you say? Looks NT and MS64ish to me. Luster seems unusual, especially on the obverse comparedt to the reverse. It may be the toning/photo quaility or perhaps old cleaning? Not in hand yet. Experts???

1zovm9u.jpg

35k4tph.jpg

rsemxe.jpg

erwin, I can't tell if it has been cleaned from those pics. The toning does not raise any flags, I'll tell you that - and it appears attractive. The thing is, those pictures are small and out of focus and can hide a tremendous amount. That coin really could grade anywhere from 61 - 65 - and no one is going to be able to narrow it down accurately beyond that, despite what they may tell you.

Reason I asked if anyone felt it had been cleaned is cause it is currently in an old ANACS holder and net graded MS60 due to cleaning. The seller claims that the coin was purchased many years ago raw and never new it was "cleaned" until it was sent to ANACS. Seller says that he can see no hairlines etc. and neither can I from his photos. Perhaps it was dipped and retoned, I dont know. He will accept returns and even pay return postage, so it really is absolutely no risk to me. For the price, I will look at it and if it is good as it looks in photos and likely crack it out and roll the dice to see what happens. There are lots of stories about coins getting BB on one submission, then ending up in a holder the next. Worst case is it will end up net graded by NGC. I hope to post new photos when I get it in hand later this week.

Reason I asked if anyone felt it had been cleaned is cause it is currently in an old ANACS holder and net graded MS60 due to cleaning. The seller claims that the coin was purchased many years ago raw and never new it was "cleaned" until it was sent to ANACS. Seller says that he can see no hairlines etc. and neither can I from his photos. Perhaps it was dipped and retoned, I dont know. He will accept returns and even pay return postage, so it really is absolutely no risk to me. For the price, I will look at it and if it is good as it looks in photos and likely crack it out and roll the dice to see what happens. There are lots of stories about coins getting BB on one submission, then ending up in a holder the next. Worst case is it will end up net graded by NGC. I hope to post new photos when I get it in hand later this week.

That's a surprise. The photo doesn't appear to be of the best quality, but if it is accurate, I do not see any signs of cleaning. Let us know how this pans out...it will be interesting to see. If you like the coin, are you going to send it to NGC or PCGS?

When I get it at the end of the week, I will update you and the photos as well. If I keep it, it will be sent to NGC for grading. Just in case, I will likely allow "details" grading.

Update: NGC just posted the grade on this one

Uncirculated Details

Net Graded due to Artificial Toning

Opinions welcomed. At least I was right about it not being cleaned previously. I am perplexed by the AT designation. Suggestions?

I should of read the other posts, I guess my predictions were correct. There are people on Ebay that sell just Toned coins and I know that they are Artificially done by dipping them in some kind of solution. You see it alot on Morgan Dollars. I don't know who they are fooling and why would you destroy a coin like that??

Hello. Is this coin Raw? Is that why your asking about a grade. I always feel suspicious when someone is selling a coin in this condition and it not being graded especially when the coin is worth at least $100. Without a doubt, the coin is at least a MS-64 or better. I would ask the seller as many questions as possible and evaluate the answers. There are so many coins out there that are counterfeited and Artificially toned it's a hard decision to make. If the price is appropiate and the sellers reputation is traceable and looks good than I would go with my gut feeling.

Have the seller grade it. That would solve any doubts. Good luck and let me know how it all works out. I would be interested about the sellers story.

Good Luck. Sal