• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your favorite coin purchase in 2010 of < $50.

25 posts in this topic

One of the things I most appreciate about numismatics is that you can find a lot of neat/attractive material for not much money. So please post your favorite coin purchase (tokens, darkside, medals etc. are all WELCOME) in 2010 that cost LESS THAN $50. ($50 IS acceptable too). This one cost me $40.

1958MSWashie.jpg

1958MSWashieRev.jpg

So believe it or not, I actually am working on an album collection of Jefferson Nickels. Seems silly when I have a high ranking registry set, but it has proven to be very challenging. I don't know where all the MS65 Jefferson Nickels are but I can't find them on E-Bay. After getting a bunch of dogs buying raw coins on E-Bay, I decided to change strategy. I started buying ANACS graded Jefferson Nickels and cracking them out for my IS album collection. Here is my favorite album pickup for 2010 for $34.

JeffersonNickel1950-DANACSMS65.jpg

It is actually much more appealing than the dog that is currently in my registry set. I hate the 1950-D, it is my white whale.

First, a bit of truth in advertising...

This coin does not quite qualify for the thread. After postage and handling I actually paid 52 dollars and change for it. But I haven't shown it anywhere and it does qualify as one of my favorite purchases for the year.

1835halfdime-LM1.jpg

This one that I picked up while antique shopping with the wife is my favorite of the year, most of my year I was in Iraq so I haven't picked up much at all. Can't wait for the tax return in a couple months.

Paid $35 or $37, don't remember which. It's in the Tidy House advertisement.

TidyHouse.jpg[/img]

TidyHouse3.jpg[/img]

Here is my top 3 under $50. Im sorry i cant just pick one :P

This is on top of the list costing $11.60

DSCN2454.jpg

DSCN2455.jpg

This one set me back $8 and is a nice PL frankie

DSCN2476.jpg

DSCN2477.jpg

This one i gave $10. The luster on this coin in hand is amazing!

DSCN2503.jpg

DSCN2504.jpg

You must be joking! Shane doesn't have any Morgan toners that cost less than $50.

Chris

That one was a local B&M purchase Chris. :hi:

Sorry, I was referring to Sy's original post about limiting it to less than $50. My best purchases this year came from Shane.

Chris

So believe it or not, I actually am working on an album collection of Jefferson Nickels. Seems silly when I have a high ranking registry set, but it has proven to be very challenging. I don't know where all the MS65 Jefferson Nickels are but I can't find them on E-Bay. After getting a bunch of dogs buying raw coins on E-Bay, I decided to change strategy. I started buying ANACS graded Jefferson Nickels and cracking them out for my IS album collection. Here is my favorite album pickup for 2010 for $34.

JeffersonNickel1950-DANACSMS65.jpg

It is actually much more appealing than the dog that is currently in my registry set. I hate the 1950-D, it is my white whale.

one of my favorites lehigh. a nice jefferson is always a welcome sight :) nice pick up

You must be joking! Shane doesn't have any Morgan toners that cost less than $50.

Chris

That one was a local B&M purchase Chris. :hi:

Sorry, I was referring to Sy's original post about limiting it to less than $50. My best purchases this year came from Shane.

Chris

And a beautiful coin it is. You are right the limit prevented me from showing off my Shane purchase. (thumbs u

Penny Guy - what is R9? I thought R8 was "unique or nearly so, 1-3 known".

In Herbert's, "Guide to Mint Errors", he only goes as high as R-7, Extremely Rare, and Van Allen/Mallis in the VAM Bible go to R-8, Unique. Herbert also includes "Unknown" above R-7, and the VAM Bible makes no further mention above R-8. Could it be that R-9 means, "I see it but I still don't believe it!

Chris