• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New here, here is my introduction.

24 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been meaning to post an introduction as I am a new addition to these boards. I wasn't quite sure where to put this, however it was suggested that I post here in this particular forum.

I had some interaction on this board a few years ago with a comic book fiasco, (Grandmother asked me to sell something VERY nice for her and it made a splash). And for the most part the community here seems sane and reasonable. :D

I have been a numismatist since I was 7, but I received my first coins earlier than that. I started as a hoard collector as most children do, grabbing more, rather than better.

I remember lugging my collection around in a backpack on airplanes that had to weigh at least 40lbs.

24 years have passed and about 5 years ago I changed direction and liquidated my collection and kept a few small select pieces. I am now almost exclusively a type collector. I am working on a Dansco 7070 (US Type + Gold Page) as well as a handful of my favorite coins 'slabbed'.

My favorite coins are:

Liberty Double Eagle (I love the reverse of this coin enough to make it my #1)

Arrows and Rays 1853 Half (and quarter but bigger is better right!?)

1866 & 1867 Nickle with Rays.

Standing Liberty Quarter Type 1.

Those 4 are by far my favorite coins.

I also 'manage' the collections of my daughters which started as 'finds' in their piggy banks, like war time quarters and wheat pennies, and has increased to include older foreign coins that they enjoy because of the pictures on them.

I am here mostly to learn. I will never own the 'best of the best' coins, I will never be in the top registry lists, and I am fine with that. I am quick to get in the thick of things, and I may make a few mistakes, but that is how you learn.

Look forward to interacting with all of you!

Great to have you here, and you have definitely chosen some nice ones as your favorites! Do you have any pictures of your favorite coins? Do you have a Registry set (or a website, or something) that we can look at?

That was a cool introduction and welcome. My daughters do not think they have collections yet, but they certainly have tons of coins in their piggy banks!

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

My favorite coins are:

Liberty Double Eagle (I love the reverse of this coin enough to make it my #1)

...which begs the question: Do you prefer the the "type-1" obverse? or "type-2"?

I prefer by far the earlier obverses, with the portrait of Liberty offset to one side :) .

Welcome to the forum and with a very nice intro, if I may so. Best of luck with your collecting. You have picked a pair of my favorite coins, the liberty seated half/quarter with arrows and rays and the standing liberty quarters type 1.

Jim

With that list of favorite coins, you have shown that you have good taste. (thumbs u Too many collectors are into "modern "spoon"" which has its place, but that place should not be at the forefront of most collectors' interests.

Well, I do not understand the ??? (wtf) I'm an old goat who is not to hip to what's going on around me, anyways, welcome and enjoy yourself, we are what we collect.

What an eloquent introduction. Welcome to the forum. The vast majority of posters on this forum are "here to learn". Good luck in your type collection.

$ilverHawk

Well, I do not understand the ??? (wtf) I'm an old goat who is not to hip to what's going on around me, anyways, welcome and enjoy yourself, we are what we collect.

Well in some circumstances it could mean "What The F#$@", but in this case I presume Welcome To Forum.

Well in some circumstances it could mean "What The F#$@", but in this case I presume Welcome To Forum.

Thank you for that clarification...gotta get my mind up out of the gutter, I'm a non-texter, never have and never will, if you got something to say to me, speak to me, I do not respond to texts. lol Besides, my fingers are to big and fat to write anything sensible on that miniaturized key pad.

Greeting from the Old Pueblo or just "OP". I live in Tucson Arizona AKA Old Pueblo.

I have a Liberty Nickel fetish. I do have other issues... ummm ....coins :whistle:

in my collection.

Cheers'

OP

Welcome to the forum. Your collecting interests are challenging series, especially the Liberty Double Eagle which as a series, can keep you busy collecting for your entire lifetime. The Rays and Arrows and Rays coins can also be challenging to acquire in higher grades of mint state.

I think that you will find this is a friendly easy going place unless you want to collect really high grade Roosevelt dimes. Then it gets a little out of hand and overboard because of the crazy collector, personalities involved.