• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tools of the (Fake) Trade ... Colonials, Morgans, Bust, Seated, etc **big pics

11 posts in this topic

I just picked up a box of these ... the seller thought that they might be old clay poker chips. I believe that they are blanks for electrotyping or for making counterfeit coins. They are old, fairly brittle clay and are exact copies of the coins in question. They include the same reeding as the originals but each blank is only an obverse or reverse (ie. the backs are rough clay).

Has anyone seen anything like these before, and if so, what do you know about them???

MorganO.jpg

MorganR.jpg

ColonialO.jpg

ColonialR.jpg

Seat.jpg

Bust.jpg

Interesting that the back of the Morgan says "COPY" and it looks like there might be some lettering on the neck of Liberty on the bust coin as well. I would love to learn more about these.

Then my theory is, a real original coin was pressed into a soft soft clay or heated wax, then this plaster sort of material was poured into the negative impression, allowed to dry and removed to make the plaster cast copy...kinda like "Big Foot" prints.