• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheap, quick-and-dirty scans of my proof sets, 1936 - 1969

18 posts in this topic

These are bad scans, but I hadn't shown my current progress with these proof sets in quite awhile. I'm down to needing just ten coins, but this is after some seven years of hard work! The philosophy for collecting these, in order of priority, has been as follows:

#1 Buy no more than one coin per venue. In other words, I never buy more than one new coin at a given coin show (and virtually never at auction). This leads to...

#2 Do not break up any complete proof sets. Every coin here has been purchased individually as a single piece, even the cheap, late-date coins.

#3 Buy only non-certified coins to the extent possible. I make exception for 1936 and 1937, since there are practically zero of these left in uncertified state.... except in complete proof sets. I've only cracked out five certified coins for this set.

#4 Favor "cameo" over "ultra cameo", but I am happy with coins that have only mild cameo effect. I am one of those strange birds that doesn't care as much for the super-duper ultra cameo B&W look. Also, strive for a nice mixture of tastefully toned pieces and fully brilliant coins. And avoid hairlines as much as possible!!!!

One of these days, I will produce some really nice images of these sets!

ys1.jpgys2.jpgys3.jpgys4.jpgys5.jpgys6.jpgys7.jpg

I have some decent, but not full cameo SMS cents that would look nice in your sets. Wondering if you might be interested in them, at the low price of your address, of which I already have! I'll have to dig around, but pretty sure I have some that meet that bill.

You have put some coin into that collection...pardon the pun :o

Great set and I look forward to the individual images

Happy Thanksgiving

OP

What do you plan on doing for the satin and brilliant cent and nickel finishes of 1936?

Excellent question! I am leaning toward picking up all four coins :o. That's at considerable cost, I know, but then again, this is a long-term project. I have all six 1942 proof coins (type-1 and type-2 nickels), which means that varieties hold some import for me. That would put me down by twelve coins, instead of just ten. As cash becomes available, I anticipate being able to add up to three or four this year :) .

I also originally wanted to extend the set to 1977, which is about the last year when it's still feasible to find light-cameo coins, but the darned Dansco album is about stuffed to the gills, and additional pages likely won't fit. Also, that would necessitate including a few oddball dollar proofs, and I didn't want to mess with those. That's why I stopped at 1969.

By the way, if you guys want to know something really insane, I originally started out with two identical runs of proof sets, but as the heavy cost began to dawn on me, I sold off the second album run of sets, after it was complete from 1950 - 1969.

What do you plan on doing for the satin and brilliant cent and nickel finishes of 1936?

Excellent question! I am leaning toward picking up all four coins :o. That's at considerable cost, I know, but then again, this is a long-term project. I have all six 1942 proof coins (type-1 and type-2 nickels), which means that varieties hold some import for me. That would put me down by twelve coins, instead of just ten. As cash becomes available, I anticipate being able to add up to three or four this year :) .

I also originally wanted to extend the set to 1977, which is about the last year when it's still feasible to find light-cameo coins, but the darned Dansco album is about stuffed to the gills, and additional pages likely won't fit. Also, that would necessitate including a few oddball dollar proofs, and I didn't want to mess with those. That's why I stopped at 1969.

By the way, if you guys want to know something really insane, I originally started out with two identical runs of proof sets, but as the heavy cost began to dawn on me, I sold off the second album run of sets, after it was complete from 1950 - 1969.

We've always known of your insanity when it comes to coins, James. However, there's a flaw in your logic of stopping at 1969. As you know, a number of subtle changes occurred from 1969 thru 1971, with the coinage of 1970 being more uniformly similar to preceding years, and that of 1971 being more uniformly similar to coinage of 1971-1979 (e.g., major hub changes on the Jefferson nickel in 1971). One of the similar features of the coins of 1970 to immediately preceding years is that the Kennedy half dollar is 40% silver. So, it would be most logical to extend your collection through 1970 than to quit at 1969 ;)

Your collection is nothing less than spectacular!

Hoot