• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New circulating dollar coins in 2006!

18 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is old news. It is new news to me. I just read that we may be getting four new dollar coins per year, featuring US presidents if the "Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2004" bill passes. The coinage would begin in succesive order with George Washington in 2006. All of the reverses would portray Lady Libertyand feature edge lettering. Sac dollar mintage would resume after this 12 year program. I think the Mint finally smelled the coffee or the GREEN. Are you guys in?

I am.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Its on the front page of the March 22, 2004 Coin World. I just received mine today.

That explains it, I receive my issues of Coin World on Fridays. I’ll read all about it tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!

John

12 years of 4 coins a year is 36 coins or 36 presidents. Lyndon Johnson was #36. Why not stop at #37 which was Nixon and the last non-living President?

Also, by the time this program runs its course Carter & G.H. Bush are highly likely to be dead considering they are 80 right now and the program won't be over for 14 years (2 years until it starts & 12 years to run thru the first 36 presidents).

Reagan is certain to be dead - probably before this program even starts.

Clinton & G.W. Bush could even be dead by then conisdering they'd be 73+ by the time thir coin rolls around.

12 years of 4 coins a year is 36 coins or 36 presidents. Lyndon Johnson was #36. Why not stop at #37 which was Nixon and the last non-living President?

Also, by the time this program runs its course Carter & G.H. Bush are highly likely to be dead considering they are 80 right now and the program won't be over for 14 years (2 years until it starts & 12 years to run thru the first 36 presidents).

Reagan is certain to be dead - probably before this program even starts.

Clinton & G.W. Bush could even be dead by then conisdering they'd be 73+ by the time thir coin rolls around.

Only one coin would be issued for each president, except for Cleveland who served a nonconsecutive term. It supposed to go up to all former presidents. Im too lazy to do the math. Oh, and 12 X4 is 48.

27_laughing.gif

hate to have the negative spin but I predict that these will pile up in the banks just like the sacs that they can barely give away. It will be a Total flop unless they change the size of the coin or do away with the 1.00 bill. Of course it will be popular for the top pop plastic nuts.

It will be a Total flop unless they change the size of the coin or do away with the 1.00 bill.

I agree partly. I don't think the size of the dollar coin is the problem. Dumping the $1 Note is essential if the coin is going to circulate. PERIOD.

I like the idea here. This way we can make it an excuse to finally getting rid of the Presidents from the other coins..... laugh.gif

The US needs some NEW designs....NOW!

jom

Only one coin would be issued for each president, except for Cleveland who served a nonconsecutive term. It supposed to go up to all former presidents. Im too lazy to do the math. Oh, and 12 X4 is 48.

foreheadslap.gif

Oh well, that still leaves a problem of putting a living person on a coin. That's a taboo, but has been broken in the past.

I like the idea here. This way we can make it an excuse to finally getting rid of the Presidents from the other coins..... laugh.gif

The US needs some NEW designs....NOW!

jom

Let's hope so. Great insight!

The article I read in coin world about the presidential dollar says that the bill supporting this effort includes creation of coins (4 per year) for all past presidents whether or not they are dead and would only exclude the current sitting president.

Since the gubment makes the rules the gubment can change 'em.

Such a horrible idea without simultaneously eliminating the dollar bill. Now, if it's used as a way to get the presidents off of other coins, I'm all for it - then we'll never see them in circulation! laugh.gif Can you imagine how awful these coins will look in low relief? I'm all for change in our change, but this maneuver will about do me in with the "circulating commemorative" idea.

Hoot

I hope it brings more people to the hobby like the quarter has. Before the quarter I felt the hobby was really in trouble. Another program would be great smile.gif

I personally would like to see a run of extinct animals on a new $1 coin. This would be a whole lot more interesting (IMO) then more presidents---dead or alive!

As there are more extinct animals then there will ever be presidents, the series would NEVER end! Literally a collection that you could never finish! 27_laughing.gif

David;)

I personally would like to see a run of extinct animals on a new $1 coin. This would be a whole lot more interesting (IMO) then more presidents---dead or alive!

As there are more extinct animals then there will ever be presidents, the series would NEVER end! Literally a collection that you could never finish! 27_laughing.gif

David;)

Interesting. A depiction of extinct animals ON an extinct animal - a circulating U.S. dollar coin. 893whatthe.gif

I think it would be more apt to describe this as an UNCIRCULATING U.S. dollar coin. The dollar coin won't work so long as the dollar bill continues to exist OR until inflation catches up with the dollar and gives it the buying power of the quarter.

Interesting. A depiction of extinct animals ON an extinct animal - a circulating U.S. dollar coin. 893whatthe.gif

Good one. Recursion rocks.

Beijim