• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tale of Two Reverses oops

17 posts in this topic

I just opened the package containing this extremely important coin for my V Nickel collection.

The key date 1885 Liberty Nickel has finally arrived. I sat in my chair whipped the trusty loupe but I could see the problem easily without the loupe.

This coin is graded MS63 and advertised no spots or distractions.

Here are the two images. The blob in the center of the reverse is can be seen from three feet away.

The first image was on the website, the second I just took with my camera.

Guess this one is going back :mad:

Unhappy,

OP

105899.jpg.c3e2ca4838f0c88ad699e1bd4310d797.jpg

105900.jpg.d5c9ad06bbb740abe0ab496c0b4152c7.jpg

There is discoloration in the center but more distracting (to me) is the cloudy spots at 6 & 7 O'clock, I tend to agree with u.

Those cloudy areas are on the slab. Coin definately does not agree with the description on the dealer website.

OP

There is discoloration in the center but more distracting (to me) is the cloudy spots at 6 & 7 O'clock, I tend to agree with u.

Those cloudy areas are on the slab. Coin definately does not agree with the description on the dealer website.

OP

Despite that; I still agree with u. It sounds like you are very unhappy, so I would def. return it.

I can see where you wouldn't like the green spot. Is it toning of some kind or enviromental damage. From the looks of the detail in this coin, was probably there when it was graded and was knocked for that because the coin looks cleaner than a 63 to me. JMO

I can see where you wouldn't like the green spot. Is it toning of some kind or enviromental damage. From the looks of the detail in this coin, was probably there when it was graded and was knocked for that because the coin looks cleaner than a 63 to me. JMO

Thanks Bobby, The green blob looks organic not so much like toning but rather a stain of some kind. It appears to rest on the surface at 20x.

The coin is a pretty nice 63 (and about the highest grade I can afford for the 1885)

But the deceptive coin description is what really disappointed me.

Additionally, the original images looks like it may have been touched up.

Thanks for your input

OP

So the question is, what would it grade without the spot? Would it be worth sending it to NCS for conservation to remove the green? Then re-grade? What if that gave it a 64? Would that be better than sending it back? There is a huge jump between 63 and 64 - why not ask NCS?

I agree with your decision about the coin because of the stain on the reverse,

Now what is it about the two obverses? :)

I guess, given the situation and the two images:

"It was the best of coins, it was the worst of coins" :o

In other words I was hoping :cloud9: and received :censored:

I really appreciate everyones input here

Cheers,

OP

Is that possibly a glue spot? Just wondering if it was something that could be corrected rather easily that way the coin wouldn't be a total loss. Definitely something I'd leave to the NCS professionals though.

I agree with your decision about the coin because of the stain on the reverse,

Now what is it about the two obverses? :)

Just noticed the error :blush:

It appears the first image was intentionally blurred in that area to deceitfully cover up the flaws. I loathe this practice, and have even seen a member on these boards do it.

I don't question your statement but this a pretty serious accusation.

In this case I would speculate that the lighting hid the green mark and not Photoshop.

It appears the first image was intentionally blurred in that area to deceitfully cover up the flaws. I loathe this practice, and have even seen a member on these boards do it.

I don't question your statement but this a pretty serious accusation.

In this case I would speculate that the lighting hid the green mark and not Photoshop.

Without seeing the coin in hand, I can't know for sure, but I would strongly bet the original photo in question was altered. It doesn't have the appearance of a lighting issue. Look how granular and low quality the surrounding area is, while the area in question looks blurred.

As for the board member here, he is not selling his coins with this - he does it for his own benefit, to try and make his coins look the best he can without spending a fortune. I understand where he is coming from, but still don't like the practice, even for collectors.