• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins Returned Genuine

21 posts in this topic

Most of the time those guys know what they are doing and NGC will see the same.

Its costly to brake out coins and send them back in, I would just take them for what they are.

Ditto

Dang! I thought at least NCG would grade them and put corrosion/damaged/nicked on the slab. Do you think they'll do that?

No, if they have these issues they will be put in a Details holder and not receive a numerical grade.

Without seeing them no one can make an informed decision about whether another attempt should be made. We can't tell how severe the problems are. Was PCGS being overly picky, or did they deserve the "Genuine" designation.

1907 no motto St Gaudens (Scratch or rim nick)

1913S Buffalo T2 (Cleaned)

1937D 3Leg Buffalo (Damage or tooling)

1911 $5 Indian (Cleaned)

The St Gauden is really the one I wanted a grade on, I've held it for several years...I was told it was MS-65

The others are quite detailed VF to AU

I am thinking of sending them to ANACS, what do you think?

1907 no motto St Gaudens (Scratch or rim nick)

1913S Buffalo T2 (Cleaned)

1937D 3Leg Buffalo (Damage or tooling)

1911 $5 Indian (Cleaned)

The St Gauden is really the one I wanted a grade on, I've held it for several years...I was told it was MS-65

The others are quite detailed VF to AU

Why?

You'll get a DETAILS on the label with no grade from them.

ANACS will give you a numeric details grade if that is what you are looking for. NGC will also give you a details grade but it will not be numeric. It will come back F,VF, XF, AU, etc.

Sounds like your mind is made up, some times you have to learn for yourself.

By all means do what you want with your coins.

I wouldn't do it. ANACS is not on the same plane as PCGS/NGC and may also reject your coins--it would be a waste of time and money.

I wouldn't do it. ANACS is not on the same plane as PCGS/NGC and may also reject your coins--it would be a waste of time and money.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. This wasn't so true only a couple of years ago, but ANACS slid off the cliff once the big turnover event took place.

Try them at NGC if you feel they have a shot. The cost of a submissions could be greatly outweighed by the added value of having even a single example come back in a problem free slab.

To tell you the truth gmarguli, I've searched the web and I forgot if it was "About Coins" or what, but the author said he sent them to one grading company and they came back "Genuine non-gradable" and then he send the same coin to another company and it came back certified. I'll do soem research and find out about cross grading and let you know specifically what companies were involved. Thanks.

To tell you the truth gmarguli, I've searched the web and I forgot if it was "About Coins" or what, but the author said he sent them to one grading company and they came back "Genuine non-gradable" and then he send the same coin to another company and it came back certified. I'll do soem research and find out about cross grading and let you know specifically what companies were involved. Thanks.

I believe you are looking for :)this thread.

This is very common with borderline coins. The same grader (not grading service) will view the exact same coin differently on two different days. What was just unacceptable yesterday may be just barely acceptable today.