• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Walker addit

21 posts in this topic

"Gem" at the very least, and a higher grade seems likely since there is hardly a post-mint ding or defect to be seen. That said, the strike is a tad below average for a Philly coin. I absolutely love this look, and could see a point boost for the very attractive patina. Overall, MS-66.

I love the toning and the surfaces are impeccable, however, the obverse center softness will limit this coin to a MS 65. The '43 is almost always very sharp. IMHO.

Congratulations! BTW.

Thanks for the input. You may have noted that earlier in this thread, Mark T said he thought this coin looked familiar---It should. I was able to get this excellent Walker in a very fair deal from Mark T. Thanks Mark.

Also thanks to Mark for permission to use his photos.

I was attractted to this coin because of it's strike and toning. The irridescence and russet cloud toning on the obverse is beautiful and unique. The light yellow/gold patina on the reverse is quite a sight to see in hand. And the strike is very good although there are some areas of weakness.

I agree with James_EarlyUS, I think NGC gave this coin a boost based on toning and natural patina.

It's also my opinion that NGC was perhaps generous with the grade. The coin does compare quite favorably with other 1943 MS67 examples I have been able to find from both NGC and PCGS.

All in all this has become one of my favorite Walkers.

1943-walker-ngcms67.jpg[/img]

$ilverHawk

SilverHawk-----You did say to "tell you what we really think".

When I see a Walker coin on a post, I sometimes have the urge to just jump right in with an opinion. Sometimes, like in this case, I sit back and wait to see what others think and say.

I'll be somewhat of a bad guy here I guess. But, when I look at a Walker, there are three main concerns for me. They are originality, eye appeal [ NT toning mostly] and then strike characteristics.

The 1943 coin is usually pretty well struck up. This coin, from what the pictures show me, is pretty weak in the center finger and thumb areas. It also has some chatter right in the very center----which could be left over on the planchet from a poorer strike. When I see this, I couldn't in all honesty grade the coin a MS66----certainly "NOT" an MS67.

I "ABSOLUTELY" love the reverse of this coin. But folks don't grade ANY coin looking at the reverse first. If I were an NGC or a PCGS grader, I'd say what a lovely coin and then----WHAT A SHAME that it doesn't have a better obverse center. My final grade would be an MS65

There is a whole lot of difference in price from a coin graded MS65 than from a coin graded an MS67. I have no idea what you paid for this piece? But, it might be interesting to just take it to a major show----and show it to some dealers---just to see what they might offer you??

In "NO WAY" am I trying to knock this coin as I find it to be a nice MS65 coin. And, I "LOVE" nice Walkers of ANY date or mint that have nice eye appeal. Bob [supertooth]

Supertooth,

Thanks for the honest reply. There's no way anyone is a bad guy for giving an honest opinion.

Judging the coin in hand and comparing it to several other MS67 s and MS66 s in my set. This coin is a technical MS66. I say that because the center finger thumb area is identical with several P mint MS66 s that I have both NGC and PCGS. And it is equal to or better in all other focal areas.

I believe the graders at NGC gave it a perhaps undeserved boost to MS67 based on the overall eye appeal.

I really like the look of this coin. I will be going to FUN and will take this coin to get some dealer in hand opinions.

Thanks for preparing me for a potential letdown. :)

$ilverHawk

First off, beautiful coin - it has eye appeal aplenty.

I would personally grade this one a 65+ - and then they gave you a 1.5 point boost for the eye appeal. It belongs in a 66 holder - but it is a gorgeous coin for sure!

Hello Folks---- I'd like to add a little story about higher graded Gem Walkers.

Some dates and mints are rather hard to obtain---others not so hard to get. Years ago, I had been looking for a particular date and mint coin. Simply could "NOT" find it. Since I rarely buy anything from a coin dealer, I rarely look at their web sights.

However, a dear Walker friend sent me a PM to look at a certain piece. When I opened the pictures, I was in love with the coin. Naturally, I bought the coin at a price that was TOOOO high. But, I didn't care. I knew that from years of searching that I'd likely "NOT" find another anytime soon that would fit my set and my likes.

Later on, another dear friend saw the coin and commented that he liked the coin but thought that it was one point lower in grade. I laughed and told him that I simply "DIDN"T CARE" as I dared him to find a better example. And, honestly, till this day I have "NOT" seen another to best this coin.

I tell this little story to remind myself and others that we buy what we like and we pay for it because we like it. That's how this coin business works. But, thank goodness that I have done this type of buying on only 2 occasions. All the best in your collecting efforts. Bob [supertooth]

For what it's worth..being a little late.....and with all due respect...

One can't compare different dates in this series. The strike of a 41-S MS66 doesn't come close to the strike of a 1943 MS66...

without the color I could honestly see this as an MS64 or MS65 slider...add 1 for the eye appeal/color

...I'd say a 65* or 66

PS: it's actually highly scarce to find any Walker graded MS66 with being that flat in the center obverse

PPS: I should mention, that at the right offer...I would love to have that among my Walkers..I just love a Walker with unique color and character.

I've seen threads in the past that have had buffalo nickels and Lincoln cents look more like low AU instead of the MS66's they were given due to weak strikes. If that is accepted grading standards, what is wrong with having this weak struck

Walker grade MS67?

jackson64,

I'm a definite newbie when it comes to Walking Liberty Halfs. However, I know not to compare historically weakly struck S mint coins with other mints. My post read that I compared this coin to other P mint coins not S mint.

In fact the most logical comparison was to a 1943 PCGS MS66 coin that I own. Both coins showed weak center lines. My posted coin had superior strike in all other areas. Most notably the head area.

I currently have 17 walkers graded MS66 or MS67. 12 of those Walkers exhibit weak areas in the center obverse.

2 1943 PCGS MS65 CAC Walkers that I own have better center lines. Nice split thumbs and very clear central skirt lines.

My point is that as far as TPG s are concerned, it seems that the center line weakness so often brought up in this thread is not so much a critical component of the grade.

A strong central obverse in any grade Walker is certainly desirable. As a collector I will always desire a fully struck coin if I can get it.

PSS: This coin is in my keeper box. :)

I thank everyone for their input and help in my Walker journey.

$ilverHawk

the more that I've studied the series over the years, I have noticed a huge premium for grading put on the luster of Walkers--in particular the satin look over the frosty, flowlines look......

......I have also seen some really scatter shot grading across the spectrum for various dates, series, etc etc...not much consistancy among any of the TPG's...that is why I try and go with what I personally find appealing -first and foremost--I have even paid the MS67 money for coins whose slab says MS66 ( and at auction that usually means that I wasn't alone in my tastes...

A beautiful coin and one that I'm sure you'll enjoy much more than a "plain jane" white MS67 with a little fuller strike..