• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin is better?

9 posts in this topic

Hello coin collectors,

I have a question that I would like to hear your opinions on. If you were purchasing a proof coin is a N.G.C. Proof 66 "star" graded coin better than a proof 67 graded coin? Thanks, Dan

I would think the decision would be which one you prefer better. I would pay more attention to the preferrable appearance that I'm looking for in a coin than worrying about the grade soo much.

If you are talking Registry, then PF67 would be better. But, if you are talking about eye appeal with the grades being almost indistinguishable to tell apart, I would pick the *. Do you have any pics? That would help with the decision.

Given similar coins, I would definitely choose the 66 "star". At the level of 66/67, proofs should not really have hairlines, and that's the primary deterring factor for eye-appeal, again given that everything else is relatively equitable. So with technical attributes that differ literally by a "hair", why not go for a coin that has superior eye-appeal?

Given similar coins, I would definitely choose the 66 "star". At the level of 66/67, proofs should not really have hairlines, and that's the primary deterring factor for eye-appeal, again given that everything else is relatively equitable. So with technical attributes that differ literally by a "hair", why not go for a coin that has superior eye-appeal?
I must disagree with just about all of that.

PR66 and even PR67 coins often have hairlines. Also, a number of other factors are as or more important in determining eye-appeal. Lastly, without seeing the coins, we have no idea how little or how much they differ on a technical basis.