• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881-CC DMPL

10 posts in this topic

Bobby's 80-S in "Spare a Grade" prompted me to post this. It seems that whenever I take a photo of a DMPL, it looks like a deep, black pool instead of showing the brilliant mirrors of the coin. What is the best way to take photos of DMPL's? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This one is an NGC MS64DPL.

Chris

105365.jpg.c185d5c0a3fe1fa4e35f8da3d2774aec.jpg

105366.jpg.7b0f8384a156811bdf64f29d679129e0.jpg

DMPL's can be a pain to image. I use normal light, no diffusing. I like the fields to be black. It is real hard to show a watery mirror on top of the fields. Add in a little color like you 1881-cc has and it becomes just that much more of a challenge.

I think these 2 are similar with the color:

35.jpg

111.jpg

but ideally I hope for something more like this:

117.jpg

Well here are some more attempts at my PL. I have 2 lights but not sure if I used 1 when and where or when 2 were used. Just moved them all around. Still can't get the original look of the coin tho'.

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

B & W PL Morgan's are tough to photograph. When they are colorful PL's they can give you a migraine. It's almost impossible to show color with out some sort of glare.

022obv273.jpg

022obv280.jpg

That 98-O is fantastic Vette!

The only DMPL I have is this one:

1095504_Full_Obv.jpg

She must be mad at you, Jason, because she isn't smiling to show her DMPL's.

Chris

PS. Are you ever going to get it reholdered because of those scratches on the slab? They look terrible. cpm

Taking a photos of dmpl's and pl's is difficult enough and add my photo taking ability to the mix and it becomes even more of a task. :makepoint:

Picture015-9-1-1-1.jpg

Picture002-2-1.jpg

Picture015-9-3.jpg

Picture011-2.jpg

Gee, Irvin, if you have ability, that's more than I can say for myself.

Chris