• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Walker pickup

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, please give me your grade for this Walker. I provided 2 different views of the obverse, obviously its quite difficult to grade anything from a pic. Just to let y'all know, this coin was slabbed by everyone's favorite, Accugrade, so I really don't know what the correct answer is.

105031.jpg.4c47760a0dfa291ac8d75e6f33bd916b.jpg

105032.jpg.b011f9bff3873a90f9460010954e279e.jpg

105033.jpg.40b4871de8f8c3568f2baf5222cffe6b.jpg

Honestly, I have to say, my initial feeling is that it's an extremely weak strike or that it's been well circulated and been polished. The first picture shows a lot of what could be hairlines or could be die polishing lines. As you yourself stated though, it's tough to grade from pictures.

On another note, knowing your collecting tastes, I can't believe that this thing is a circulated polished coin. So, I'm going to have to go with a weak strike.

Not very good with these but here goes. For one, these are known to be weak strikes. With that being said, possibly MS but the hairlines throw me off. It looks like a harsh cleaning and possibly some re-toning going on. Just a guess!!

The '40 s came weak but it was not struck that badly. The '41 s was much worse. This is definitely a circulated coin and I see obvious signs of wear in the centers (breast feathers, thumb and skirts) with alot of chatter. I believe that those are die polish lines but cannot tell for sure---I still think that, in addition, it has been wiped down, as well---luster definitely has breaks in it and appears subdued. I would grade this coin an AU 55 cleaned.

I have not seen many coins from Accugrade that I care for very much.

I don't think it is a weak strike. I think you have a late die state with die polish lines. The peripheral areas are too well defined to be the result of a weak strike. The peripheral definition is what you would expect in a MS64-65 Walker. Sandals, lower skirt lines, flag creases and head are quite sharp. The obverse central line almost vanishes which would be expected in a late die state.

Let me guess, Accugrade gave it MS63.

I'd be interested to know what a real TPG would grade.

$ilverHawk

Jason----- Looks like die polishing hairlines to me from what I can tell from the pictures. The 40S coin is quite the little step sister to the 41S Walker. But, in reality, is mostly just like the 41S with it's strike characteristics---or lack of CENTER definition.

I think that the coin is definitely an MS piece. Accugrade, depending on when they graded it, could go from a lowly 63 to as high as a 68. Easily such coins were very much OVERGRADED due to an apparent luster.

For me, because of its center weaknesses, I can only grade such pieces in the MS63--64 area. As you know, I'm not much of a fan for die striation lines----regardless of how much luster the coin may possess. However, the grading companies do value luster above all else IMHO-----so this coin could easily go higher than my estimation.

You see such coins throughout the "S" mints of the 1940's. They are interesting at the very least. Bob [supertooth]

Jason----- Looks like die polishing hairlines to me from what I can tell from the pictures. The 40S coin is quite the little step sister to the 41S Walker. But, in reality, is mostly just like the 41S with it's strike characteristics---or lack of CENTER definition.

I completely agree. I have never understood why the 1941-S has such a vast reputation for scarcity from the strike quality standpoint when the other dates surrounding it are essentially just as tough. The flattest pancake strike I've ever owned on a BU Walker was in fact on a 1940-S.

I would guess your coin at MS-63, from those photos.

Thanks for your guesses everyone. ACG graded it MS-65 PL.

As has been stated numerous times, the 65 is definitely generous. While the reverse is essentially mark free, there are two strong hits (above the sun and above the motto) on the obverse which limit the grade. The strike also limits the grade - I would call it a 64. It is definitely not circulated, and it is definitely not hairlined (this is one of the things that would be easy to tell in hand).

Now, the second part: obviously, this is why I bought the coin. Strong die polish is characteristic of the 1940's era S mint prooflike coins. I don't mind die polish, and think it adds character to certain coins. The fields possess a certain degree of reflectivity, but the question always is - is it enough for NGC? I really can't answer that question. I know it is more reflective than my 1943D * that is semi-almost-prooflike. But whether or not it is enough for NGC's designation, only submitting will tell.

My 1943D MS-65* for comparison:

1093410_Full_Obv.jpg

1093410_Full_Rev.jpg

Well knowing what Jason is into now, it's probably a weak struck PL. As a weak strike, Accugrade could put anything from 63-66. I'd venture a guess at the lower end, 64PL.

Your coin appears to me to be an impaired proof due to the multiple hairlines. If it isn't a proof, then it must be a business strike with proof like surfaces. My guess would be PF62 if it is a proof and MS62 if it is a business strike.