• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daniel Carr's restored Grabener coin press

31 posts in this topic

I was just reading the thread regarding Daniel Carr's 1964-D Peace Dollar fantasy piece and it reminded me of the great story posted on his web site of his restoration of the Grabener coin press that he acquired from the Denver Mint. This is a very interesting pictoral of the press and all of the coin-related goodies he found in it while restoring it.

Grabener coin press

Hoot

p.s. If this has been posted before, sorry; I've just been away enough that I could easily have missed the post!

I remember about a year ago the press from The Gallery Mint came up for sale on the local craigslist. It was also an ex U.S. mint press. It would have been cool as heck to own but at $10,000 it was a bit out of my price range lol

Regardless of what it's being used for at present, this is an interesting story. I was more amazed at the planchets and coins that were found. You would've thought that the US Mint would've cleaned these out prior to sale in case anything more important got lost inside this machine like a die or something.

I think the time and money it takes for restoration of anything is a true accomplishment for anyone that completes it. Now what they do with it afterwards can be good or bad by thier own decision and there will always be reward or repercussion.

Edix:

A lame ploy to sell some of his books? ;-D

I complain about Mr. Carr making and openly selling counterfeit silver dollars and you have the temerity to make such as coprolite-headed remark. Screw you!

Edix:

A lame ploy to sell some of his books? ;-D

I complain about Mr. Carr making and openly selling counterfeit silver dollars and you have the temerity to make such as coprolite-headed remark. Screw you!

Your mouth says no but your sig says yes.

You might look into the concept of psychological projection.

I for one would like to know who edix really is? You appeared out of thin air when the 64-D arrived.

Normally, people like to introduce themselves first before jumping feet first into the fray.

I for one would like to know who edix really is? You appeared out of thin air when the 64-D arrived.

Normally, people like to introduce themselves first before jumping feet first into the fray.

Fair question.

OK, I'm a coin collector since the early 1970s, the president of the Greater Houston Coin Club and certified as an ANA exhibit judge in modern coins and medals.

I also mainly collect products created by small private minters.

“edix” seems like so many knuckle draggers infesting places to promote counterfeit coins.

…and for his ignorant edification, the signature line has been there for several years: well before “edix” learned to read.

“edix” seems like so many knuckle draggers infesting places to promote counterfeit coins.

…and for his ignorant edification, the signature line has been there for several years: well before “edix” learned to read.

Such irrational anger is unbecoming.

Probably one of those ATS posters that wanted to stir the pot up!!

edit......I bet he disappears after the 1964-D Dollar threads die down!!

I want to be part of the discussion and also wish RWB would cease to personalize the issue and attempt to denigrate and even criminalize people he has disagreements with.

I enjoy chatting about coins and do so on numerous lists over a period of many years.

Wow, this thread got uncharacteristically unpleasant.

Extremely agree with Jason on this...

Guys...

Roger one of the greats here, with very informative posts (worship) ...and even some of the off-the-wall funny post replies ...

and Edix , most likely a very prominent figure in his own right , being a club leader and well versed ( Welcome aboard :hi: BTW)

Please let it go or at least use the emoticons of the cartoon figure poking a stick from now on ... :baiting: ...It is allowed for everyone to have a differing opinion ....and while being adamant about one's stance is admirable ...mud-slinging is getting the whole room messy :slapfight: .

I know , right? Me posting this ? :o