• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UHR Doing well in the market it appears

25 posts in this topic

I bought one but never had it graded.

The MS 70 have appreciated nicely, (gold prices definately help)

But if I was so lucky to receive this one in the mail....I'd be a seller too!

UHR PL70

Cheers

OP

Nice looking coin but why would you pay that much for a modern coin when you can get coins with real history behind them for much less (shrug)

That price is (of course) completely insane.

The price is what someone wants to pay for the coin. I wouldn't pay that price, but someone who can afford the coin wants to pay that. So be it. Who am I to judge what they want to do!

Price aside, the funny thing is that to me, the "PL" UHR commems look really fake! The real Saint proofs were all satin proofs and actually look more like the regular UHR commem finish (and even those are too shiny when comparing to the matte proofs of the early teens). I can't see how a Saint collector would be that enthused about a coin that looks like one of those $20 gold plated fake proofs, so it must just be registry people or collectors of modern gold eagles who are used to that cameo look on proofs.

Around $1950, Perry.

Thanks. I remember when they first came out and some predicted that they would be worth only melt in the aftermarket and that they were just another piece of bullion.

What are the raw ones with all the original packaging bringing these days? Anyone know?

I had a good customer ask for one this week. I was able to buy one from another dealer for $1800 and I flipped it for $1850.

TD

By the logic you are using, no coin will ever be overpriced.

I have never tried to convince anyone not to collect or buy something they want to because its their money. But I have commented many times on the financial merits of the current prices of many coins.

When I make a comment or more detailed evaluation on a coin's price, it may be either from a financial standpoint (that is, whether I think it is likely to become more or less expensive), whether I consider the coin fairly valued versus other coins given my opinion of its numismatic merits or both. I might not always be clear on that I admit.

Foir either price appreciation or relative numismatic value, I give this coin at this price a big fat "F". There are few coins that come to mind that would represent worse value.

As to why I make these comments, its because there are many other collectors (or possibly non-collectors with this coin) who have no idea whether a particular price represents a good value or not. If anyone else disagrees with me, as always, they are free to explain their reason for disagreement.

Nice looking coin but why would you pay that much for a modern coin when you can get coins with real history behind them for much less (shrug)

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks. I remember when they first came out and some predicted that they would be worth only melt in the aftermarket and that they were just another piece of bullion.

Give it time. They've been on the aftermarket for less than a year. Soome mint product die quick but a lot of them can take ten years before they settle down and drop.

Give it time. They've been on the aftermarket for less than a year. Soome mint product die quick but a lot of them can take ten years before they settle down and drop.

Agree but who knows what gold will be worth in 10 years. :devil:

Agree but who knows what gold will be worth in 10 years.

True, but the key will be what if any premium will it have OVER bullion? They had a significant premium over bullion when they were sold by the Mint. If in ten years they wind up just about at bullion they are a loser even if the price of gold triples because you could have bought more gold with the premium money you paid for the UHR and you would have then been ahead ten years later over the UHR.

True, but the key will be what if any premium will it have OVER bullion? They had a significant premium over bullion when they were sold by the Mint. If in ten years they wind up just about at bullion they are a loser even if the price of gold triples because you could have bought more gold with the premium money you paid for the UHR and you would have then been ahead ten years later over the UHR.

I don't remember the premium being that great---similar to other mint products. I got mine when it was first issued---anyone know what % over melt was at the time of issue?

I don't remember the premium being that great---similar to other mint products. I got mine when it was first issued---anyone know what % over melt was at the time of issue?

10% i think, Perry