• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has this coin ever been dipped?

23 posts in this topic

I dont know to answer your question, but it sure has a lot of luster remaining. So if it was dipped, someone who knew what they were doing did it and then got it holdered? Perhaps NCS???

There are perfectly natural and totally white Morgan and Peace dollars from that era, in fact I have a whole roll of perfectly white 1923 silver dollars that have never been dipped, and they are only 6 years younger, so why wouldn't it be possible?

It's almost impossible to know for certain (in cases such as this, where there are no apparent remnants from the dipping). But, based on its appearance and the odds, chances are excellent that it has been dipped.

Could it be undipped? Yes, the posibility exists, but based on past experience I seriously doubt it. In actual fact, it doesn't matter whether a coin is naturally white or if it has been properly dipped and curated. There will be no noticable surface differences.

It is well known and clearly stated by a vast majority of noted Numismatic writers that it was common practice to dip silver coins from this era as well as other eras.

Common sense and a modicum of chemistry knowledge lets us know that sliver coins oxidize/tone over time. Unless a coin is hermetically sealed from any atmospheric contact it will oxidize.

So yes, in all probability this coin was dipped. And it joins the millions of silver dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars that were also dipped.

So what? You have a beautiful SLQ that would be graded by any TPG.

BTW I don't collect SLQ s but that is a very sharp looking coin.

$ilverHawk

Vintage coins most likely to have not been dipped are hoard coins, and the 1917 type-1 quarter basically falls under that category. These were saved by the bagful, and therefore, there is a high probability that many fully blast-white coins are fully original and undipped.

Unfortunately, your example is in a non-EdgeView holder. What you need to do is look at the edge of the coin, and if it is toned while the obverse and reverse are fully white, then you are very likely to have an undipped coin.

If the coin is white, and the edges are also white, then chances are very high that the coin was dipped.

When a roll of coins are stored in a paper roll, their faces remain white, but the edges will tone due to contact with the acid-laden paper roll. This is why the third side of a coin is so important.

The above does not necessarily hold true for Morgan dollars, which were often stored in bags, and therefore can have all three sides fully white and untoned without having been dipped.

I’ll be the skunk in the room and say that it sure looks dipped to me. It has that “etched” white look to it that a coin takes on after a very minimal amount of medal has been removed from a light dipping. The coin just does not seem to be "original" to me.

Many lightly toned coins from this era have a sort of yellowish or bluish, frosty cast to them that comes from storage in coin envelops. Remember that envelops were the storage device of choice from perhaps the 1930s through the 1960s when flips started to become popular.

It’s still a nice coin, but the lack or originality, at least to my eyes would knock a point off the grade. At least that what it seems to me when I seen dipped coins in certification holders.

dipped out coin

even if it came out of an original roll and was in the middle of the roll and was mostly white with a nice light skin to it

the coin still has lost this skin and originality from a mild, quick dip and this was all that was needed to make the coin starkly blast white

a pass coin for me

i bet this stander looked close to this new dipped look when it came fresh off the dies in 1917 abet with possibly more lustre, fire and flash with that usual halo affect you see on some (depending on the date and which mint struck it) non-dipped roll fresh original morgan dollar rolls that have never been dipped and still have their light skin intact from decades of sitting in the roll frsh from a bag

any dipping even a quick diluted mild dip will reduce this halo affect and take off the original really light skin the coin developed after decades in a put away original roll. of course the pieces closer to the end of the roll itself if not directly in contact with the end paper folded over wrapper will hagve sometimes end roll toning but usually the more white coins will be towards the middle of the roll sealed by other coins and this is if they had been stored in more stable drier environments

overall it still is a good, decent coin if it was properly rinsed and neutralized after dipping ( you will know this if you still got the coin 5-8 years from now and it still looks the same as today)

not a coin for my collection but still a good coin (thumbs u

Thanks for all the thoughts folks. I called it dipped but thought it was done right and didn't matter.

NGC gave it an MS 67 FH. If you have any more thoughts on storage methods that were used, please post them.

I'm going to agree with Bill and Michael here. Its still a nice coin, but I would have waited for something more original.

I will say this though - that strike is very nice! I might have considered it just for that.

I didn't buy it. Not even sure who owns it. Some friends and I have been arguing over it. I called it dipped but many folks don't agree. I like the coin but not enough to buy it.

I didn't buy it. Not even sure who owns it. Some friends and I have been arguing over it. I called it dipped but many folks don't agree. I like the coin but not enough to buy it.

If I needed the coin, I personally would strongly consider it, but then again, I happen to like this series blast-white. The thing about that coin, besides the grade (which is secondary to me anyway) is the sharpness. Of course, type-1 coins are always well struck (practically anyway), but that particular example appears to be remarkably well struck.

Here is the 1917 Type 1 quarter from my colleciton. It does not look dipped, but I'm not 100% sure. It really does not matter I like the coin, and it is stable. It's in a green label PCGS holder (MS-65, Full Head) which means if it was touched it's not changed for over a decade.

At any rate compare the luster to this piece to the one that started this thread. It is different and has more of the original look.

1917Ty1QuO.jpg1917Ty1QuR.jpg

There are so many naked breasts in this thread. Goodness.

And just to think, perhaps the mint was on to something before Hugh Hefner got into the business in 1954. :o The centerfolds in the mid to late '50s Playboy magazines weren't much racier than this quarter. :banana:

The coin is owned by J.H. Cline .