• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

7 posts in this topic

I just sent 4 coins into NGC for designation review. 3 of the 4 didn't change (I was looking for CAM), and the one that I thought had the least chance of getting a CAM designation did! The 3 that didn't change are mid '50's dime, quarter, and half that all have beautiful toning on both sides - but the toning is such that NGC won't give them the CAM designation because significant portions of the devices are dark blue/dark purple.

What would you do?

1. Say screw it, the toning is beautiful, leave them as they are within the slab even though they ought to be designated. acclaim.gif

2. Crack 'em, dip 'em, and try again devil.gif

3. Crack 'em, but leave leave them naked, so the lack of the CAM designation doesn't 'lower' their apparent value. foreheadslap.gif

I'm thinking of putting these on Ebay, and wanted to get your thoughts on this. Also, I'm assuming your response would be different if these are just going to stay within my collection.

If they were mine, I'd sell them as is with good pictures and an accurate description. Beautiful toners with cam apparent should fetch a nice premium regardless of the designation. Leave some room for speculation to your future buyer. Mention in the ad that you feel they deserve the designation.

Honestly, I would leave them as they are.

I definitely would not crack them and dip them. There is no guarantee that they would get the cam designation after the bath, but they would have lost the nice toning that may have been a good selling point. I also would not crack them and leave them raw if I wanted to sell them as I think that the fact that they are in a TPG holder would help them sell faster. IMO this is especially so if you want to sell them on eBay.

John

Leave them as they are. If you were to crack them out you will possibly make potential bidders think the coins are AT. They will sell for a handsome premium.

I've got a proof coin that should get the cameo designation but didn't.

1878-20-cameo-o.jpg

I think the services should designate coins like these. By not doing so they temp people to dip coins. Sooner or later someone will dip these coins because they can sell them for more with the designation.

This one has nice color when tilted at most angles.

1878-20-color-r.jpg

If the toning is that nice, leave it. If it is standard brown or gold, dip it.

Based on what you said, I'd leave the toning and in the slab and mention that they are cameo in the auction descriptions.