• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

Broadstruck, wow on the HT-16, nice....................

Thanks Hard Times :)

It was actually sent to me sight unseen on approval based on a email description and I don't recall ever writing out a check so fast on any other! ;)

Here is my HT-34 - rich dark chocolate with a strong cartwheel flash during rotation under a lamp. planchet roughness or die rust on the surfaces? Note the die crack on the obverse from N in 'FINANCIERING' arcing through Mr. Turtle and then again down to F in 'FINANCIERING'. The obverse die crack spanning from one side to another suggests that this specimen was struck after quite a bit of use of the die. Overall good strike on the obverse, the a*s is weak but otherwise crisp on the reverse.

I don't know where Broadstruck finds the well struck examples as this one is as good as I could find in the last 6 years. Gem HT's are rare, if you can find them, buy them, and then sell them to me :) .......

HT-34NGCMS64reflcomp.jpg

Hard Times, That's a very nice HT-34 for the grade and I also like the strike on your HT-33.

Recent newp for my secondary set.

1833 "I Take The Responsibility" HT-70 / Low-51

2wq761s.jpg

(Major scuffs on holder)

Nice Broadstruck, I have a few more to get to before I show my HT-70s - I have two in different die states, and one of them is an 'RB', I will show them when it is time, again, your ability to find well struck examples is simply amazing..........

Here is a variety that has not been posted yet from what I can see. This one issued during the early days of the Whig Party as it came together in its opposition to Andrew Jackson.

Low6O.jpgLow6R.jpg

And here is a pro-Jackson piece. This one came the Herb Oxner (sp) collection .

Low3O-1.jpgLow3R-1.jpg

And here is a pro-Jackson piece. This one came the Herb Oxner (sp) collection .

BillJones, Nice examples a little higher on the Rarity scale! (thumbs u

Did you by some chance mean Herb Oechsner hm

Your Low-3 was also previously in the Donald Miller and George Tilden collections.

Did you by some chance mean Herb Oechsner

Yes, I had no idea how to spell his name. I knew him at the end of his life when I belonged to the New Jersey Numismatic Society.

I've owned these two pieces for well over 10 years. I think that the Jackson (Oechsner) piece sold for $1,600 in a Stack's auction. I only paid $350 for it so someone took a beating. on it. :tonofbricks:

Did you by some chance mean Herb Oechsner

Yes, I had no idea how to spell his name. I knew him at the end of his life when I belonged to the New Jersey Numismatic Society.

I've owned these two pieces for well over 10 years. I think that the Jackson (Oechsner) piece sold for $1,600 in a Stack's auction. I only paid $350 for it so someone took a beating. on it. :tonofbricks:

BillJones, Thanks for the info as I knew about Gilbert Steinberg being a NJNS member but not Herb Oechsner.

That Low-3 has a great obverse strike even with the lightly pin scratched reverse! :applause:

I had it conserved by NCS, I am not sure they improved it, possibly made it worse..... Copper conservation is a tricky buisness I think.

1841 HT-64 / Low-68

A spectacular example for the type with spectacular verdigris. I've let sleeping dogs lie on this one for the last 2-3 years, as I'm afraid that if I send it out for conservation I may not recognize it upon return? I've also seen enough previously conserved copper turn in the holder that I wouldn't want to chance sending something in that I'd want to own long term.

(Deep Obverse Scratch on ANACS Holder)

6f2f7n.jpg

wtx5au.jpg

NCS folks told me that if you write a very specific list of requests for conservation, they won't take it any further than the request. I am going to ask them to clarify this next week at the Money show and discuss in particular their approach to copper.......

Broadstruck that is a nice Feuchtwanger. I will counter with my 3E once I get up to it. Next will be my HT-69 later in the week - it is the Redbook plate coin.......

Broadstruck that is a nice Feuchtwanger. I will counter with my 3E once I get up to it. Next will be my HT-69 later in the week - it is the Redbook plate coin.......

Thanks Hard Times...

BTW It's the first day of a new week so it's time for that HT-69 post! ;):P

Here is my HT-69, it is identified as the Red Book plate example for HT-69 by the triangle of dark grunge between P and O in Responsibility and the gouge in the field next to Jackson's right shoulder on the obverse, and the black streak on the reverse from 4:30 to 10:30 that resulted from a poorly mixed alloy in the planchet as well as the mostly untoned SW quadrant and toned NE quadrant. There is also a small dark spot above C in Metallic just beneath the waves that you can also see in the RB plate photo. It is really quite an interesting piece - not struck up all that well in places, roughness in the fields, large die crack on the lower parts of the obverse, poorly mixed alloy in the planchet, but booming flash and eye appeal nevertheless, which led NGC to give it a 65 despite its problems.

The picture in the 2011 Red Book is on page 390. The pictures in RB are more washed out, I try to capture the rich colors of coins/tokens when I photo (no the saturation is not amped up...) but if one amps up the brightness/exposure on my pic, it becomes more like the RB pic. Having said that, the toning has increased over time, the pic was taken over a decade ago in the RB and probably before this was in a slab and relatively protected. But the identifiers are there. If this were a US minted coin, I guess it was increase its value as a plate coin, but hey this is a token......

The Red Book used to dedicate 4 to 6 pages to Hard Times Tokens but have cut back substantially in space, alas.

HT-69NGCMS65RBcomp.jpg

This is the only RedBook Plate I own HT-70 / Low 51 in the Token section in the Non-Professional 2010 edition on Page 386.

6yo3km.jpg

It's Ex. Gilbert Steinberg collection and I wasn't aware it was in the RedBook until in a book store 4 years after I purchased it.

Looks great BS. Here is my HT-171......

Hard Times, Thanks the Willard is one of my favorite store cards as I like the obverse design. Looking at yours it's a small world after all as I feel I've owned and sold your now Willard about 5 years ago, but it was in a lower grade Anacs Blue or ICG slab?

The later die stage near full red RB example I posted is the only one I've seen looking at close to 100 Willards at shows in all grades that has a 180 degree reverse die rotation.

Here is my HT-68. This is from the Ford Collection auctioned by Stacks, June 23, 2004

Lot#135

Item Description

L.67, HT.68. Uncirculated,

With about 15% mint red showing. Good, medium brown color elsewhere, surfaces a trifle granular but scarce so nice. MAY TENTH 1837, the date of the closing of the Bank of the United States.

Ex F.C.C. Boyd Estate.

HT-68NGCMS64comp.jpg

Here is my HT-68.

Are we moving backwards HT-69 now HT-68? ;):insane:

Anyhow that's a nice looking Low-67 :applause:

All the Scoville struck 1841 floral obverse Low-67, Low-68, & Low-69 tokens are extremely tough to find well struck and even semi attractive. I also have a NGC MS64BN example I need to image.

Here's something a bit different as I purchased this HT-68 Low-67 about a year ago and figured it was silvered copper which is unique as it's unlisted as a silvered variety. I didn't pay moon money for it as I wasn't convinced at the time that the silvering was period. I looked at the edge with a 10x loupe one morning last month and now feel the core of this host is brass. I now need to send it to a lab for metallurgical testing to confirm as no brass strikings are known. Funny part is I posted it ATS about a month ago looking for a lab and quite rapidly received an email from a dealer who's representing another HTT collector with a inqury of purchase. hm

n2miog.jpg

If it is brass, it should have a different specific gravity than the copper ones. Nice piece for sure!

Good point Hard Times as I wasn't even thinking of that I'll have to weigh it on a digital scale.

As a thank you maybe you'd appreciate knowing the provenance on your HT-8 / Low-5A?

Thanks to the distinguishable weakness of strike, mark in the field, and clip location I'm 100% sure it's ex Virgil Brand estate B&M1990, ex Gilbert Steinberg B&M2003, ex Richard Gross S2009 and plated in all 3 catalogs :)