• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally got them back :) Pics

15 posts in this topic

I think you need to re-image them so that the glare of the light isn't right on top of the coin. I don't know what everyone is so worked up about, the coins can't really be seen in those pictures.

I am terrible at imaging :(. Im only keeping 2 of the coins and those 2 i will have imaged by a pro. I can never seem to image a coin in a slab without the glare. I use a cheap nikon l20 camera and a single desk lamp. They all look way better in hand as you can actually see the luster and the colors are much more vibrant.

That's understandable, but try moving the glare of the lamps back up a bit so it doesn't fll on the coin. If that leave the coin too dark add a second light. A second possibility might be a piece of lightly frosted glass between the light and the slab to act as a diffuser. That spards the light out and helps prevent the intense point source glare.

That's understandable, but try moving the glare of the lamps back up a bit so it doesn't fll on the coin. If that leave the coin too dark add a second light. A second possibility might be a piece of lightly frosted glass between the light and the slab to act as a diffuser. That spards the light out and helps prevent the intense point source glare.

Do you think home depot will have that frosted glass or if somewhere else i can get it from?

Do you think home depot will have that frosted glass or if somewhere else i can get it from?

They may not have frosted glass, but they might have sheets of plastic light diffuser, either frosted or prismatic, which is sold to go in flourescent light fixtures.

Some other possibilities:

A thrift/junk store, flea market, or yard sale might have a light with a frosted cover, or possibly just a cover that you can adapt to your light.

Glass shops may sell frosted glass, and tinting and sign shops sell a "faux etch" film that will make a piece of glass look frosted.

Machine shops, body shops, monument dealers, or others who use sand blasters can lightly blast a piece of glass for a frosted look. (Below is a picture of a desk that I built using sandblasted glass)

103362.jpg.10ca1795ff811de2408a673e13892d94.jpg

You don't need the trouble of obtaining frosted glass, which would require you to experiment anyway to obtain better images. You simply need enough light and to keep the glare from the bulb off the coin. The Franklins look nice, the WQs not so much.