• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay or heritage?

35 posts in this topic

this seems like a no brainer, but i'm interested in what people think..

i've got a '69S ddo lincoln, PCGS AU58RB. freshly slabbed. 40k-ish. i've never dealt with heritage, and i'm sure their fees are considerable.. but they'd pull in the highest bidders wouldn't they?

it's worth the hassle isn't it..

IMO, it seems to me that Heritage, USUALLY, gets the highest premiums for their coins, although I have seen stuff go for high amounts on ebay. Heritage's buyers are more 'in the know' and that's where the real heavy hitters are. If it were me and I wanted to sell...I would definitely sell through Heritage. They also offer discounts if you have purchased a coin through them in the past and want to re-sell it later.

Anybody with any sense would not trust a $40k coin on ebay - sellers wouldn't trust the buyers, and buyers wouldn't trust the sellers. I wouldn't expect it to get anywhere near the attention you would want. Heritage is definitely the place to go for a coin like that, although you could shop around other auction houses to see who will give you the best deal. Other big ones are: Scotsman, Stacks, Bowers and Merena. I have never dealt with any of these, I'm just giving you options.

The problem with ebay is that, I know that currently, Segoja has one for sale, I believe it's a pcgs au53, and I think it has a BIN for 35k'ish? So, I would think Heritage is a better deal for you right now.

this seems like a no brainer, but i'm interested in what people think..

i've got a '69S ddo lincoln, PCGS AU58RB. freshly slabbed. 40k-ish. i've never dealt with heritage, and i'm sure their fees are considerable.. but they'd pull in the highest bidders wouldn't they?

it's worth the hassle isn't it..

Regardless of what venue you use to sell this coin, there are fees associated with the sale.

For that particular coin, I would suggest Heritage or Bowers.

I believe that they would give you the widest exposure to your potential target audience. And, (spam warning), if you go through a dealer who can get you a favorable consignment rate, the fee is probably quite a bit less than you would think. Feel free to PM me for details.

On eBay the fee is going to be about 3% (non-store seller) and 5% (store seller). That includes PayPal fees. Heritage is probably going to cost you a minimum of 7% (getting 108% of hammer).

While eBay isn't the typical place to sell a coin of this dollar value, it is not unheard of. I sold a $32K coin earlier this month.

Also, putting it on eBay also gives you the opportunity to sell it to an interested buyer off eBay. You'd be surprised how many people will contact you and make an offer where eBay and PayPal fees are not involved.

Anybody with any sense would not trust a $40k coin on ebay - sellers wouldn't trust the buyers, and buyers wouldn't trust the sellers. I wouldn't expect it to get anywhere near the attention you would want. Heritage is definitely the place to go for a coin like that, although you could shop around other auction houses to see who will give you the best deal. Other big ones are: Scotsman, Stacks, Bowers and Merena. I have never dealt with any of these, I'm just giving you options.

exactly what i needed to hear.. thank you :nod:

as for pics, it's still like 9 states away.. due to arrive next week

On eBay the fee is going to be about 3% (non-store seller) and 5% (store seller). That includes PayPal fees. Heritage is probably going to cost you a minimum of 7% (getting 108% of hammer).

While eBay isn't the typical place to sell a coin of this dollar value, it is not unheard of. I sold a $32K coin earlier this month.

Also, putting it on eBay also gives you the opportunity to sell it to an interested buyer off eBay. You'd be surprised how many people will contact you and make an offer where eBay and PayPal fees are not involved.

didn't they adjust it so the highest "final value fee" you'll pay (for a regular auction) is $50?

that ain't bad at all

Heritage may take a few months. Why not try Ebay for a week or so, and if you don't get what you want, then put it on Heritage.

good advice here too... grazie

didn't they adjust it so the highest "final value fee" you'll pay (for a regular auction) is $50?

that ain't bad at all

It's not so much the fees associated with eBay as it is the scammers and cheats on eBay.

Would you trust any item with a $40k value to have a clean sale on eBay, ie no scams associated with the buyer?

I agree with Physics-Fan. E-bay is not the venue to sell a coin of that nature. A buy/sell here is all about trust. And the professionals others listed here provide that. They have the contacts and marketing to maximize your sale.

Yes, you could post on e-bay. But keep in mind, our circle of collectors is not that big. Post a $$ number on e-bay and if it does not sell, there is a good chance that numbers is now know as a no sale. Doubt you will come close to the number later thru the any of the services. An E-bay post (just to feel the waters) could really hurt your sale later.

All of the services listed are professional and should do you right. Heritage has a great following. I tend to like Scotsman.

Chet

I think that eBay deserves to go down the toilet when it comes to the coin business. :slapfight: They don’t care about counterfeit coins that are offered on their site unless you ram them up their nose. :makepoint: Then the listings might disappear. Collectors should be running away from eBay in droves. :P

If you have a coin that is worth $40k, it’s no brainer … Heritage hands down.

Then again, someone on this board may be interested in buying a $40k coin or know someone who is. And it wouldn't cost you anything to try!

that ain't bad at all

Yes, for non-store sellers (AKA occasional sellers) the max fee is $50. Then you have the PayPal fees of 2.9%.

just out of curiosity, what does heritage get for selling a coin? high or low cost?
Their is always a 15% "buyer's premium", which, in essence, comes out of the seller's pocket in the form of lower hammer bids upon which he is paid.

However, in addition to that, a seller might be charged as much as approximately an additional 15% seller's premium, or as little as approximately a minus 7% seller's premium, meaning he gets 108% of hammer.

It depends upon the value of the coins, what % of the value is sold, rather than fails to meet reserve (if applicable) and how knowledgeable about rates and good at negotiating the seller is.

quick question..............

i just got it back from pcgs.. their website said i should expect an "AU58 RB", but the slab only says "AU58"

what do ya think?

It's unusual, but not unheard of for them to assign the "RB" designation to examples graded less than 60. I'd call customer service and tell them about the discrepancy.

Major Auction House or consign it to a reputable dealer like Mark Feld.

Selling a coin like this on EBAY is a waste of time unless you are a Power seller with strong feedback . As others have said you run the risk of being scammed by a bogus buyer. Also the exposure you will get on EBAY will be minimal compared to what the coin would get from an Auction House or the right dealer.

It's unusual, but not unheard of for them to assign the "RB" designation to examples graded less than 60. I'd call customer service and tell them about the discrepancy.

it's clearly RB, and i know exactly why it didnt hit MS.............. i still wanted the RB though ::

i'm thankful for the grade (i thought it'd need NCS first), but i still feel like i need to send it back to get the label fixed. sigggh.. this coin has been......... 'one of those coins' - fun

it's clearly RB, and i know exactly why it didnt hit MS.............. i still wanted the RB though ::

i'm thankful for the grade (i thought it'd need NCS first), but i still feel like i need to send it back to get the label fixed. sigggh.. this coin has been......... 'one of those coins' - fun

?

I repeat: I'd call customer service and tell them about the discrepancy.

i hear ya, but i'm just typing.... i dont know if i've even seen a 58RB slab? so i dont know if they forgot a couple letters, or if that wasn't really an option to begin with........

i hear ya, but i'm just typing.... i dont know if i've even seen a 58RB slab? so i dont know if they forgot a couple letters, or if that wasn't really an option to begin with........
And I also repeat: It's unusual, but not unheard of for them to assign the "RB" designation to examples graded less than 60.

And I also repeat: It's unusual, but not unheard of for them to assign the "RB" designation to examples graded less than 60.

Are you sure that PCGS gives designations for coins below MS60? NGC does, but I don't believe that PCGS does. While I do have a coin graded below MS60 that received a color designation (BN), none of the dozens of other