• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regrades

5 posts in this topic

I'm about to submit 5 coins for regrade with NGC because I feel very strongly that they were not graded properly the first time. In all cases, I believe that each merits the Cameo designation, but for three of them the degree of toning kept NGC from assigning it. I'm really not sure how they missed it on the other two. 893frustrated.gif

So, the reason for this post, I'm curious what experience you've had with submitting Regrades to NGC. Is it worth doing, or did the results tell you that you were better off not sending them back in to get the grades/designations you thought they deserved? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, when you submit, is there any way to tell NGC what you think is wrong, or are the graders expected to figure it out for themselves. I've completed the submission forms for Regrade and they're just like the standard forms - so, there's no place to indicate anything. Of course, that could be by design. cool.gif

NGC will allow you to argue a point on a coin that is deserving. Call customer service and ask specifically what you are requesting. As far as cameo/vs deep cameo, there are certain in house criteria that are followed and usually an ultra cameo designation must be on a coin that is really, really worthy. Coins that are low value or not exceptionally rare will not likely be affected. Use your few shots at arguing a point on worthy coins. David Lange will bend over backwards on attribution and research and the graders will tell you why the coin will not upgrade, for a fee, of course. I even had Mark Salzburg call me once and tell me why a coin was grading lower than expected.

TRUTH

You are using the wrong service. You want Designation Review. Write on the form you are interested in the Cameo designation. NGC fills out little paper slips with a check box indicating what the grader should look for. At least when I sent in some coing for review, they sent me one of those forms back by mistake. blush.gif

Regrade is basically for under graded coins. DR is only $10 compared to $15+ up for regrade.

Truth -

Thanks. I've been doing pretty good of late with Cam and DCam designation on my submissions. These coins ('55 half, '55 quarter, '60 quarter, '55 dime, and '58 nickel) all graded well, but none of them got Cam. Based on what I've seen all I can figure is that the peripheral toning clouded the grader's judgement - as everyone of these exhibit at least the qualifications of similar coins in my collection. Of the 5, the '60 quarter is the one I care the least about, but I needed to have 5 to send in!

Greg -

You're right, what I want is Designation review. I dithered about which service to take, and ended up using Regrade after reading the description on each. The good news is that I haven't sent anything in - just filled out the forms and printed everything to be sent it. So, I just filled out the forms and, the good news is that there is no minimum submission requirement (so the '60 quarter doesn't go in) but the bad news is that there is nothing on the form to request (whine about) what is missing.

So, I just filled out the forms and, the good news is that there is no minimum submission requirement (so the '60 quarter doesn't go in) but the bad news is that there is nothing on the form to request (whine about) what is missing.

Here is info from one of the graders: [...]in most cases, it is fairly obvious what the submitter's intentions are as far as wanting us to see/possibly upgrade or add designation. If you are a little unsure that it will not be obvious, I would recommend calling customer service and asking for Scotty, who is head of receiving and handles tons of requests like this. He would be the one to go to (maybe call the day the coins should arrive or shortly after they made it) and perhaps mention that you would like to talk with Rick or someone if they have any questions to call you.