• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else get slammed 5/25/10?

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering, did anyone else get slammed on 5/25/10 in the NGC Registry? From what I can see I lost a bunch of points off of various star graded coins. Here are several that are now "worth less". Needless to say, I bought the coins because I like them, and that hasn't changed. I kind of wonder how NGC decides how much a * coin is worth.

47S67FTstarobv.jpg

47S67FTstarrev.jpg

1949dRoos67strObv_005s.jpg

1949dRoos67strRev_007s.jpg

Franklin52S_Rev.jpg

Franklin52S_Obv2.jpg

I kind of wonder how NGC decides how much a * coin is worth.

Star designations receive a bonus of 25% of the difference between the score for its grade and the grade above. For example, let’s look at an MS67* coin. If an MS67 gets 1,000 points and an MS68 gets 1,600, the MS67* gets 1,150.

I think NGC just redid the registry for the plus coins. Plus coins will receive a bonus of 25%. If you get a coin with a Plus and a Star you will get a bonus of 50%.

I only lost 26 points but I only have two coins with stars.

Sky Man----- I am glad somebody started a post on this. And, I really have "not a clue" of what is going on these days.

Over this last year, NGC has taken thousands of points away from me---then, after awhile, given them back again.

I've lost the "MOST" points among the top sets in the Walker registry. And, I don't have a single coin that has a star in either of my sets.

It's really not that I care about the points. But, I would like to understand "WHAT IS GOING ON"?? Take them away---then give them back---then take them away again. I've yet to see any explanation as to the "WHY" of it?? Or, why my set is punished the most of all the sets?? My other set got hit hard as well.

It would be GREAT if someone from NGC would get on this post and explain this situation. Or give a link to where we could look to find out the answers as to what NGC is doing? The word "updated" has to mean something but I wonder what that is?? Bob [supertooth]

It would be GREAT if someone from NGC would get on this post and explain this situation. Or give a link to where we could look to find out the answers as to what NGC is doing? The word "updated" has to mean something but I wonder what that is?? Bob [supertooth]

Look under NGC Registry forum and NGC always posts why the scores are changing.

Either way I still think NGC registry is better than PCGS.

Schatzy---Or anyone else for that matter.

I am a total klutz with the computer. I've said it a million times on this forum. And, I have looked more than once trying to find anything about this situation. If anyone could post a link for me, I'd be most grateful.

As I said, I don't really care about the points. But, I would like to know the "WHY" of it?? And, I would like to know "WHY" my sets are the ones punished the most?

I've looked on the "ask NGC" and the "NGC forums" with NO LUCK.

Us old guys can't make the computer sing like the younger folks can. For me, it's tough and that's the way of it. Thanks for any help. Bob [supertooth]

Schatzy---Or anyone else for that matter.

I am a total klutz with the computer. I've said it a million times on this forum. And, I have looked more than once trying to find anything about this situation. If anyone could post a link for me, I'd be most grateful.

As I said, I don't really care about the points. But, I would like to know the "WHY" of it?? And, I would like to know "WHY" my sets are the ones punished the most?

I've looked on the "ask NGC" and the "NGC forums" with NO LUCK.

Us old guys can't make the computer sing like the younger folks can. For me, it's tough and that's the way of it. Thanks for any help. Bob [supertooth]

The NGC Registry....where NGC post the news!!

We calculate these values using a formula because we’re currently tracking over 1,000,000 score records in the Registry. We need to use algorithms to make this task manageable. It’s not a 100% perfect system, and that’s why keep refining it.

Just go to the NGC Registry link and almost anything by Joiseygirl has to do with updating the scores.

Schatzy---- Thank you for mentioning Joiseygirl as I had a PM from her way back on 2/26/09 I was even then trying to understand what was going on and had inquired for answers back then.

Her reply left me somewhat wanting but, thanks to you, I think that I will write again to her. Apparently, this is her area within NGC. Maybe if I ask direct questions about my own sets, I'll get better answers. Before I just asked general questions that were likely "NOT" specific enough. Thanks for your trouble to help me along. Bob [supertooth]

I lost quite a few points with the changes with my silver Roosies, but that doesnt take anything away from the beauty of the coins. I suspect that over time they will give star coins their points back. NGC listens to feedback and to their customers opinions.

I got slammed hard. I don't know how many of my coins changed scores but I do know that my only MS68* Jefferson got wacked badly. If memory serves me right, this coin used to be worth 820 points. Not only did it lose points, it knocked my set from 2nd to 3rd in the rankings.

JeffersonNickel1943-SNGCMS68Star-1.jpg

This coin has a total population of 5/0 and is the most expensive in my war nickel collection. Whoever the point people are decided this top pop star coin was not worth 820 points and knocked it down to 659 points. To put this in perspective, it now has the 4th highest point total of the 12 coins in my war nickel set. Can anyone explain how that happened?

The 1943/2-P MS65 5FS (pop 40/24) is worth 1138 points

The 1944-P 5FS (pop 20/0) is worth 725 points

The 1945-P MS67* (pop 364/2) is worth 686 points

Now for the happy part of the story. The 1942-P slot was originally filled by a lightly toned 5FS coin. Once I slipped into 3rd place, I promoted my blast white 1942-P 6FS to the starting roster, earning me an additional 217 registry points and vaulting me back into 2nd place. Since neither specimen is particularly outstanding and I am searching for an upgrade candidate anyway, I might as well use the one the merits me the most points and the highest ranking.

I have been asking for over a year for them to re do the points for the Jefferson Nickel series since only some of the varieties are recognized for points premiums. Instead, I get my star points kicked in the teeth. Nice!

Hello Folks----Especially Schatzy and Sky Man

Being an old dude, my son says that I have mellowed some over the years. I try REAL HARD not to get my blood pressure up. And, I especially just try to sort of leave things alone----except on certain occasions.

Sky Man started this post----I don't know the reasons why the star coins or the plus coins have been affected. But, I can now tell you all what has happened to my Walker sets.

One thing about Math----it rarely changes over the years. Once the numbers are out there---you can observe how one may skew them if one wants to.

In the case of my Walker set, I copied a "set score detail" page for my coins on 2/26.09

I had done this because of the changes that had already been made in the point system. I had contacted NGC for some explanations----but Joiseygirl's answer just came up short. But, being a person who wasn't in it for the points, I just let it go. My coins were out there to "SHOW THE FOLKS" but not to necessarily garner registry points.

However, thanks to Schatzy----who got this old brain working again yesterday---I made another copy of the NEW and CURRENT "UPGRADES"

It would seem that----if you are collecting MS Walkers---your set scores "do not" change from 2/26/09 till today. But, if you collect the "early" Walkers in either XF or AU grades---YOU HAVE TAKEN A MAJOR NEGATIVE HIT FROM 2/26/09 till today's scores.

Now, anyone who collects "early" Walkers, knows that the coins in XF or in AU conditions are EXTREMELY HARD to come by. Why would you think that the point scores would be lowered?? Take an example of the 1920D coin in XF. Why would its point value go down when its population numbers at both NGC and PCGS are sooooo low?? It went from 1416 to 1152 in XF condition. Why would an AU 1917S Obverse coin's score lower from 2561 to 2009??? How many of these coins have you seen lately in either NGC or PCGS holders??

Well, I'll just report the facts that both Greg's Good Value Walker Collection and my Doc's Walkers have taken the greatest hits----BECAUSE WE COLLECT XF AND AU "early" Walkers.

Any of today's business marketing majors---if asked---could tell you the "WHY" of this. But, I'll just put it out there and let the folks decide. All I can say is that I won't be rushing out there to upgrade my coins. Wishing all of you the very best in your collecting efforts. Bob [supertooth]

I was slammed too!

My Roosevelt Set (Barkaroosie, The #1 1946-1964 Set) lost 7,000+ points. This, on top of loosing 13,000+ points back in June 2009 when they changed the Star point system.

This is the second time in just less than one year they've adjusted the points.

:mad:

I hadn't noticed a difference in my type set score, but that doesn't mean that I didn't lose any points.

Maybe ngc was warranting to many points for a Star* coin over a regular non-star coin? And I think I remember seeing that the star coins in the same grade would have a higher point value than the same date/mm with a full details designation, for example a 1957-d 10c ms67* was worth more points than a 1957-d 10c ms67 FB. Although I could be wrong about the example I give.

But I completely understand how this would affect collectors' registry sets, especially after all the time and money people pay to obtain the "star" coins. And especially with the certain collectors that strive to buy all Star* coins for their registry set.