• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What good is a slideshow if.............

32 posts in this topic

............there aren't any photos in the top registry sets.

I like Morgans, but if you take a peek at the top sets, there isn't a single photo. As a matter of fact, only one out of the top 11 sets has any photos. I would imagine that if I searched other categories, I would probably find much of the same.

Look at it this way..............would you expect to win a blue ribbon at the county fair for the best apple pie if you didn't allow anyone to taste it?

Chris

A very good point. Every item in each of my sets has images for the simple reason that it makes registry sets more enjoyable.

If NGC were to dock points for sets with no images, I suspect all of these slab collectors would start adding pics.

I like Morgans, but if you take a peek at the top sets, there isn't a single photo. As a matter of fact, only one out of the top 11 sets has any photos. I would imagine that if I searched other categories, I would probably find much of the same.

Look at it this way..............would you expect to win a blue ribbon at the county fair for the best apple pie if you didn't allow anyone to taste it?

Chris

The professional graders tasted the pie.

I have very little respect for top registry sets that have no photos. I have NO respect for registry sets that are restricted, ("private") that can't be opened. Those sets should not even be in the rankings. If you can't even see what is in the set, what good is to anyone?

I’m going to be the skunk in the room and tell that I think some of these sets with no pictures don’t exist. They are composed of some coins where the “owner” got the slab serial numbers and posted them. Who knows what they have if you can’t see it? What is to prove that they have not stolen or “rented” the serial numbers until someone else tries to register the coin?

If you want to see pictures of coins, check out my sets. I’ll never be #1, but 99% of the my coins have photos, and I’ll post up the other 1% before the end of the year.

I agree, and I think NGC should take steps to deduct points for sets with no pictures. I have said many times over that I think pictureless and obscured sets should not be eligible for awards or competition.

Chris

The professional graders tasted the pie.

Which syllable in didn't allow anyone did you not understand? :roflmao:

Chris

I agree, and I think NGC should take steps to deduct points for sets with no pictures. I have said many times over that I think pictureless and obscured sets should not be eligible for awards or competition.

My sentiments exactly!

Chris

I agree with Bill 100%. NGC should offer no haven for those unwilling to provide photos in their registry. BTW--great collection of half cents Bill. I enjoyed the slideshow(would have been boring without photos).

Jim

Awww, who needs pictures when you know the grades :flamed: ?

I have pictures for 100% of my registry coins and have from early on. In fact, I don't even add a coin to my sets until I have the pictures ready. I have a few coins now that I could add but I haven't had time to take the pictures.

But, with James' comment, I'm thinking of making it easier on myself and just replacing all of the pictures of the coins with pictures of the label. hm

I have photos of all the coins in my Saint set, but I've long ago dropped out of the top 20!

Sorry, I'll never understand why people must insist on conditions on other people's collections.

Just because a collector does not post pictures should not diminish their coins, nor should any limits be put on them to "punish" them for not showing the world their coins.

Seems a bit "Peeping Tom"ish to insist that you have a right to look at someone else's collection.

:applause: (thumbs u

I have 2 reasons for my registry. First is to have a goal for accomplishment. I will never make #1 but my collection is something I'm proud of and I have pictures of them to show my accomplishment and/or progress not just to myself but for others also that may have the same goals. I think that those who just have coins for points have a registry that is based from collecting slabs and not coins. Pictures also give other collectors insight as to grading of different series of coins. I think they are informational for those looking for it. 2nd reason is it makes for good inventory of what you have. I don't think that anyone here is really diminishing anyone else's coins, just making statements of how one percieves thier own collection. I think pictures show pride and points just show ego. JMO

Sorry, I'll never understand why people must insist on conditions on other people's collections.

Just because a collector does not post pictures should not diminish their coins, nor should any limits be put on them to "punish" them for not showing the world their coins.

Seems a bit "Peeping Tom"ish to insist that you have a right to look at someone else's collection.

Perhaps, but if you're going to post your collection for the world to see, don't you owe a little more? Sort of like being the world's greatest weightlifter, but you can only lift the barbell in the closet when no one's looking...

It amazes me that anyone would place an item or items of theirs in a competition and not expect anyone to wish to view their entries. It would also totally amaze me for anyone to say the registry is not a competition. I thank those that provide photos for their entries and feel that those that do not should not be allowed to play. Maybe they should take their ball and go home and hide their collections in a closet. JMO and hopefully not too harshly stated as it was not meant to be harsh but merely an opinion from my view point.

Jim

Just speaking as a counterpoint but, if you look at the few pictures I have in my registry they make teletrade look good :frustrated: It is on my to do list to take better pictures but time seems to slip away when I am not watching. Is it better to have crappy pictures or no pictures at all? hm

Is it better to have crappy pictures or no pictures at all? hm

It depends on your point of view. When you are trying to complete a collection, is it better to have a lower-graded coin or no coin at all?

Chris

My point exactly, perhaps us technologically challenged prefer better pictures but the skill set is lacking :blush: much as we would like a higher graded coin but the wallet says no way dude :mad:

I know it sounds off-topic. but Guitar Center has long had a policy of buying up classic guitars and putting them away for their value.

What if say, the NY Yankees did the same thing and kept Babe Ruth;'s bats, uniform, glove etc. in a vault somewhere? There would be no Cooperstown.

People who do not publish pictures or who restrict access to their registry sets are collectors of money and not of coins IMHO. It's a lot easier to get top $$$ for coins that are in a #1 registry set than those that are simply slabbed and framed in someone's parlor for viewing and enjoyment by collectors and non-collectors alike.

I think that TPG took the fun out of serious collecting to some extent and the lack of pictures/access is testimony to that. I bet the folks who have their sets restricted or who do not appreciate the picture aspect are folks who did not start coin collecting by looking through their dad's pocket change

All my FR-2 opinion of course, and I do have certified coins. I slabbed them to protect them and to qualify them for homeowner's insurance purposes, bu8t my coins are no more valuable to me slabbed as they are priceless artifacts from my time of innocence.

Just my .02

dorkdog

Chris---- Really nice post.

My registry sets of Walkers came about because of my son, Dave, and my dear friend D.D. [ Dewayne]. I really didn't care much one way or the other. I was content to leave my MS Walkers in the Wayte Raymond pages----right where they had been since 1936 through 1947.

But, when I decided to have my Walkers graded, my main interest was to show them to the folks---my fellow collectors. To me it would be an educational endeavor in order to help other collectors. I really DIDN"T care where my set finished in the numbers.

I hasten to add that, as most of you know, there would NEVER have been a single picture of any coin---without my dear wife's efforts at picture taking. My ability with the computer is quite limited. I mostly don't like this machine.

It has taken me about 4 years to put it all together----many, many hundreds of pictures. But, I felt the need----because I love the Walker coin. In all this time, I have "NEVER" had a single person ever come out and knock my sets. Mostly, they thank me for sharing and for the information that I willingly give out to their questions. I have greatly enjoyed talking to folks all across this country.

So, while your pictures may not be the best, give it a try. Don't be afraid to share what you own. I'd love to see many of the other Walker sets. I wish all the folks would take the time to tell some stories----to share the thrill of the hunt and the find.

Looking at a bunch of "insert" numbers----while that might denote a great coin---how can one ever tell without a look see??

While a certain "secrecy" may have some validity for not showing pictures, I wish most folks wouldn't use that as a reason for not letting others view their coins. Good luck to all of you in your quest for excellence within your series. Bob [supertooth]

I'm going to come down on the side that pictures should be required. How about if we could enter our coins as we do now, but there would be a "Pending" status like for slabs from ATS while waiting for verification. No points are awarded while entries are in the Pending status. When a picture is posted the points are awarded and display. Now those that simply don't want anyone to see pics of their coins would probably post an unrecognizable image. But we'd know who they were........

I removed my pictures because I wasn't happy with the quality. I will put them back in until I can get better ones.

Here is my opinion on the subject as quoted from the introduction to my 5th ranked registry set of Jefferson Nickels.

"Registry sets are typically all about grade, the number on the plastic, and points, the number on the screen. The majority of the registry participants simply list their coins in the appropriate slot never bothering to photograph or describe their coins. There is no doubt that the highest grade should be rewarded, but just as toning is only the start to eye appeal; grade is only the start to a great coin or collection. A great collection must have it all. Each coin should be superlative in one way or another, whether it is a top pop with blazing luster, a monster toner with undeniable eye appeal, or a hammered strike on a normally weakly struck issue, it must be special. Regardless of what attributes make the coin special, a number can never describe a great coin. I wouldn’t even know how to evaluate a collection without photos & descriptions."

The two top ranked sets are obscured. Between the 3rd & 4th ranked sets, there is one coin photo.

I don't know about you guys, but I almost covet the best presented awards more than those who win the award for just being 1st in the rankings. Being 1st requires only money, Best Presented requires passion and pride. Needless to say, the problem would be solved if they made photos a requirement in order to compete for the best set award.

I don't know about you guys, but I almost covet the best presented awards more than those who win the award for just being 1st in the rankings. Being 1st requires only money, Best Presented requires passion and pride. Needless to say, the problem would be solved if they made photos a requirement in order to compete for the best set award.

While I have personal reasons for being in favor of requiring best sets to be professionally photographed ( ;) ), I can see reluctance of some of these collectors, most of which don't participate in online fora, to having that done. If these sets live in bank vaults, having them photographed involves the owner assuming additional risk and expense. I totally agree with your assessment as to what "Best" and "Best Presented" require. Perhaps what needs to be done is not require the owners of the "Best" sets to have them photographed, but to have the registry place more emphasis on "Best Presented" sets -- even if they're not complete. Make it easy to see a ranking of such sets. Make it possible for registry members to cast a vote for such sets. If having a Best Presented set becomes a higher profile honor, then there will be more incentive for doing so.

I'd be willing to bet that if NGC announced that those sets with no photos would be docked 10% of their score and those sets with photos would receive one-half of 1% for each photo in their set, the top-ranked set owners would arrange to have a professional photographer go to the bank with them to photograph the coins.

Chris