• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a crackout candidate?

20 posts in this topic

For what purpose? To upgrade?

We cannot tell anything from those pictures, except I'll say this - the negative eye appeal of the splotchy and streaky toning would put this at a 65 in my book. I doubt seriously you'd get a 67. Plus the large fingerprint/palmprint automatically limits it to no higher than 65 in my book. You've got an overgraded Morgan there, and you want it to upgrade? Not likely.

Unless there is something the photos aren't showing, I wouldn't think this specimen is overflowing with eye appeal to make the jump. Given the price different between 66 and 67, I am betting the TPG's get untold numbers of these with a hope of moving up. My guess is by now this coin would be 67 if the TPG's thought it was.......

Based on the images, I think it could easily down-grade but not upgrade.

I wholeheartedly agree. The strike seems poor, but then again, the image is hardly the best. But that toning is simply not attractive at all, and don't even think of dipping it!

If it happens to crack itself out during a 7.0 earth quake, go for it...if it's just a tremor and it simply rattles across the table top, leave it in the original holder.

Tough crowd here, but they are concensused.

I'm on the same boat. I know pics are hard to go by. Looks like some pretty clean fields to me and I think I would leave it where it is.

Based on the images, I think it could easily down-grade but not upgrade.

same here.. looks like a case of the slab complimenting the coin

be happy with the 66 i say

The coin is not at all attractive. I see fingerprints and dull brown tarnish.

Sorry but this is what used to be called a "Plutonium slab." Plutonium is one of the most poisonous substances known to man, and letting this coin out of this slab would be very hazardous to your (financial) health.

Lets throw a hypothetical out here: what do y'all think would happen if the OP were to crack it out and dip it, and then resubmit?

Ohhhh, instant 67 in that case! ;)

Lets throw a hypothetical out here: what do y'all think would happen if the OP were to crack it out and dip it, and then resubmit?

Ohhhh, instant 67 in that case! ;)

:eek:

Hard to tell if any slight damage has been done by the toning. I will say this,I've read posts where very ugly toning was removed on both Proofs and Business strike Morgans and for the most part the coins DID upgrade and subsequently sold very well. One coin especially stands out. It was a Proof Morgan with very dark target toning,almost black and getting lighter towards the center.Not very attractive.This person paid either $2k or$4k,can't remember exactly. Anyway,after dipping, the coin gained a grade and the CAM designation as well. I'm not sure if I would have the guts to dip a couple thousand dollar Proof Morgan,but people do it or they send it to NCS for conserving. As it is you'd be lucky to get 65 money for it.

One coin especially stands out. It was a Proof Morgan with very dark target toning,almost black and getting lighter towards the center.Not very attractive.This person paid either $2k or$4k,can't remember exactly. Anyway,after dipping, the coin gained a grade and the CAM designation as well.

The OP of this thread was the one that acheived this.

Well, after breaking out, I used acetone and a lot of hazy ugly toning came off of this New Orleans Morgan. So much that there was no real reason to dip. So off it goes for a re-submit. I doubt it will upgrade, but it is a lot nicer looking coin after the acetone took a 100 years of surface stuff off of it.

doh!

i've learned lessons the hard way too

I'm pretty sure that was his plan all along and in the end it probably will bring more money. Nice clean cheek. ........I'd love to see an after picture out of curiosity............MJ

One coin especially stands out. It was a Proof Morgan with very dark target toning,almost black and getting lighter towards the center.Not very attractive.This person paid either $2k or$4k,can't remember exactly. Anyway,after dipping, the coin gained a grade and the CAM designation as well.

The OP of this thread was the one that acheived this.

Huh.No kidding.Small world.Any chance of an updated photo?