• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS70 coin brightener

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Well i had some raw proof state quarters in 2x2's (bought them like that) with an ugly blue haze on them that just made them look UGLY. So i picked up some MS70 Coin brightener and success! no more ugly blue haze and an added bonus no discoloration, scratches or washed out look! Anyone have any similar experiences with MS70? Like it? Hate it?

I used E-Zest about 10 years ago on some hazed over proof Kennedy half dollars that I won on e-bay. They came from a high humidity location and once the haze was removed, I mean "instantly" I rinsed them with distilled water, blew off the excess and let them air dry.

Someone told me the rinse was not required, but I did it anyways. Most of them have been dispersed, but I did notice a couple turn a real light shade of yellow, not haze, but not a very appealing tone.

I would never do this to a half way valuable coin, I had mixed results.

Someone told me the rinse was not required, but I did it anyways.

He may have been talking about acetone which evaporates from the surface of the coin. E-Z-est and other coin dips need to be washed thoroughly off the coin or the coin will eventually discolor from any dip residue.

I've had very good results using MS70. Great product. Apply gently with a Q-tip. Dabbing not rubbing. Let the MS70 do the work. You want to remove objectionable hazing. It may not remove decades old toning. Rinse using only distilled water tap water may leave mineral spots. Pat dry--no rubbing.

$ilverHawk

He may have been talking about acetone which evaporates from the surface of the coin. E-Z-est and other coin dips need to be washed thoroughly off the coin or the coin will eventually discolor from any dip residue.

I was wondering, is there a difference between MS70 and E-Zest other than just the name of a product?

I use it on practically every non-circulated coin I submit. It's wonderful.

When you use it on proofs, how do you rinse and dry it to avoid leaving spots?

Run it under warm water for a few seconds and use a can of compressed air to dry.

I was wondering, is there a difference between MS70 and E-Zest other than just the name of a product?

Yes, totally different products and types of product.

E-Z-Est is an acid which is used to strip off the surface layers. This is good to remove toning.

MS70 is more of a strong detergent which is good for removing dirt, grime, and lighter oxidation.

Hi all,

Well i had some raw proof state quarters in 2x2's (bought them like that) with an ugly blue haze on them that just made them look UGLY. So i picked up some MS70 Coin brightener and success! no more ugly blue haze and an added bonus no discoloration, scratches or washed out look! Anyone have any similar experiences with MS70? Like it? Hate it?

MS-70 is ideally suited for clad and proofs, provided you can apply it without imparting hairlines to the coin. However, I find it to be a very poor product for circulated coins, and we all know about how it can turn brown copper blue.

Hi all,

MS-70 is ideally suited for clad and proofs, provided you can apply it without imparting hairlines to the coin. However, I find it to be a very poor product for circulated coins, and we all know about how it can turn brown copper blue.

Why is it a poor product for circulated coins? Does it discolor the coins? What if you just want to remove some dirt or grime?

Hi all,

Why is it a poor product for circulated coins? Does it discolor the coins? What if you just want to remove some dirt or grime?

It will completely remove the original and natural patina that one expects to find on a circulated coin, leaving behind a pasty "stripped" look.

Yes, totally different products and types of product.

E-Z-Est is an acid which is used to strip off the surface layers. This is good to remove toning.

MS70 is more of a strong detergent which is good for removing dirt, grime, and lighter oxidation.

Thank You for the clarification.

I did not like what it did to some of my toned Jeffersons

on some it stripped away the awesome toning

had no effect on toning on others

I could not predict when this would happen

I did not like what it did to some of my toned Jeffersons

on some it stripped away the awesome toning

had no effect on toning on others

I could not predict when this would happen

MS70 should not be used on a toned coin. It removes surface contamination and some of the lighter biproducts of oxidation (toning), and you will loose any color it comes in contact with, unless its actually deep tonig that goes into the metal.

It works best on UNC white silver coins. James mentioned that it can turn copper blue, then suggested using it on clad coinage. However, it will often turn the red rims of a clad coin blue.

I firmly believ that MS70 will NOT come off the surface completely with a water rinse. I think it needs to be disolved with acetone. Over time, traces will react with copper in coin-metal alloys and start turning the coin yellow.

Run it under warm water for a few seconds and use a can of compressed air to dry.

Hmmm -- have you had any of these coins in your possession for a few years, or did you sell them all? I used compressed air on a couple proof 1964 JFKs, and they developed spots in the PCGS holder after about a year. I suspect the refrigerant from the compressed air caused the spots.

Hmmm -- have you had any of these coins in your possession for a few years, or did you sell them all? I used compressed air on a couple proof 1964 JFKs, and they developed spots in the PCGS holder after about a year. I suspect the refrigerant from the compressed air caused the spots.

I've owned some of them for years. I do know that sometimes the spray will leave a blue film. In that case I dip it off and do it again.

I had some modern proofs that I never touched spot while at PCGS. It was literally less than a month turnaround time where I dropped them off and when I picked them up they were covered in milk spots. You just can't tell...