• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on a simple Bust Half Dollar

22 posts in this topic

I wasn't going to post this until I got some better pics, but I couldn't wait any longer. This is Sy's little beauty and I'm really hesitating getting it back to him. :P

Feel free to guess the grade or die marriage.

ed01ef24.jpg

b6fa37b5.jpg

e30e5a40.jpg

Looks like a high end AU O-108. But are the colors NT? (shrug)

The reverse color does look questionable but I think overall the coin is OK.

I don't know the toning pattern on BHD all that well, but I've seen similar. It is housed in what looks like a PCGS first generation rattler.

I don't know the toning pattern on BHD all that well, but I've seen similar. It is housed in what looks like a PCGS first generation rattler.

Knowing that I will say the coin graded Au 58 :grin:

Then I would not be shocked to see it as a 55. lol

Then I would not be shocked to see it as a 55. lol

You are right !!

While an AU58 grade wouldn't surprise me, I'm going to go with MS63 as my grade guess. Regardless, I think it's a great looking coin.

I love the obverse toning, but strangely, I'm not too enamored with the reverse. I won't spill the beans on the die marriage, but it's an easier one (for 1829) to attribute :) .

Hard to grade from pictures, but I will guess MS 63. PCGS and NGC might question the toning, especially on the reverse. I doubt I could get this one into a graded holder.

For those that don't like this one, you must have one hell of a collection.

ea9cdb62.jpg88c19127.jpg

I like the coin a lot . Does your friend want to sell it ??

:grin:

I wasn't going to post this until I got some better pics, but I couldn't wait any longer. This is Sy's little beauty and I'm really hesitating getting it back to him. :P

ed01ef24.jpg

b6fa37b5.jpg

e30e5a40.jpg

Absolutely nothing wrong with the color. Very attractive and very natural looking.

There is a good reason for the devided opinions on this coin. It could have certified anywere from AU58-MS63. However, the most technically accurate grade would either be AU58 or MS62. I would not call it MS63, because if you decide there is cabinet frcition, that is considered contact, and will have to count against the grade. If it was wear, it would make the coin an AU. Thus, if an in-hand inspection reveals luster over the flattened high points, those areas could be considered cabinet friction, in which case this coin would be very accurate at MS62. If the flat spots show loss of luster and thus wear, the coin is AU58. There is no way to tell from the images. All I can say for sure is that there is a loss of detail at the highest points (in addition to weak strike), as a result of post-mint activity.

ed01ef24.jpg

b6fa37b5.jpg

e30e5a40.jpg

Absolutely nothing wrong with the color. Very attractive and very natural looking.

There is a good reason for the devided opinions on this coin. It could have certified anywere from AU58-MS63. However, the most technically accurate grade would either be AU58 or MS62. I would not call it MS63, because if you decide there is cabinet frcition, that is considered contact, and will have to count against the grade. If it was wear, it would make the coin an AU. Thus, if an in-hand inspection reveals luster over the flattened high points, those areas could be considered cabinet friction, in which case this coin would be very accurate at MS62. If the flat spots show loss of luster and thus wear, the coin is AU58. There is no way to tell from the images. All I can say for sure is that there is a loss of detail at the highest points (in addition to weak strike), as a result of post-mint activity.

Why would the presence of "cabinet friction" make MS62 (or AU58), but not MS63 the "most technically accurate grade"? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me.

ed01ef24.jpg

b6fa37b5.jpg

e30e5a40.jpg

Why would the presence of "cabinet friction" make MS62 (or AU58), but not MS63 the "most technically accurate grade"? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me.

It's not a generality, it's an assessment of the specific coin in hand. It has too much friction to be MS63. That is one of the only things I can tell from the pics. Its either MS62 or AU58, depending on if the luster is broken. I lean toward MS62. It is very possible the graders agreed, and gave it a bump for color, a practice which I do not condone in most cases.