• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT - Jefferson experts

30 posts in this topic

Not my coin, but I had a chance to image it from a member ATS. What are the expert opinions. I'm not experienced enough on these to decide.

1953PrJeffCompSm.jpg

I've seen so many great NT's that I'm pretty confident it's NT. Just the little bit of white on the reverse is what triggered the feeling that it might be a damn nice job of AT. Beautiful proof.

Classic NT, I assume courtesy of a Whitman Classic album. I've cataloged tons of so-albumed coins with this exact toning, and in fact, cataloged two such albums within the past couple of days.

Thank you for all the replies. I know the owner will be pleased to hear the consensus are of the opinion that this blazer is NT. He picked up a couple of raw proof Jefferson's, this being the prettier of the two. He loves his toners and couldn't pass on this one.

I have seen this toning on the proofs of that period...oh yeh, it's on one of mine. ;)

I love that toning! The only slight hesitation on the OP was the white center on the reverse, but I suppose every coin tones differently.

Bob,

If that coin is AT then we are doomed as toned collectors. I believe it to be NT all the way, but if it is AT then they may all be AT. Fantastic photo, BTW.

Jim

Here are a three more shots of the OP Reverse

1953PrJeffRev003.jpg

1953PrJeffRev008.jpg

1953PrJeffRev010.jpg

You have removed 100% of my hesitation. Did you see what I was referring to on the original pictures? Those new ones look perfect!

You have removed 100% of my hesitation. Did you see what I was referring to on the original pictures? Those new ones look perfect!

I understand your view. The original image is not the reverse I would have chosen to be paired with the obverse in a side by side. I took about 15 reverse shots and the position of the lights on that one made the center a bit much on the hot side. I was more concerned that the toning shine through, but neglected to check on the condition of Monticello. :grin:

I vote NT, and I like it!

I knew you'd like it Jon! This coin has nothing over your avatar nickel from ATS. (thumbs u

Bob (Robec1347),

in your group of three reverse images, I find it interesting that in the top image, the small steps on the left side of Monticello are defined but not the right side steps. Then on the second image, it's the right side steps that are defined. On the bottom image, the steps on both sides are clear. Great images and nice Jefferson.

David

Bob (Robec1347),

in your group of three reverse images, I find it interesting that in the top image, the small steps on the left side of Monticello are defined but not the right side steps. Then on the second image, it's the right side steps that are defined. On the bottom image, the steps on both sides are clear. Great images and nice Jefferson.

David

That's just the lighting technique. In the first image the light was coming from a different angle, and in the next image the lighting was coming from the other side. In the last image looks like the lighting was even.

It's very tough to photograph toned proofs... although I've never really tried to, but I've heard so from all the photographers around the boards.