• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Now Across The Street ...

300 posts in this topic

I believe I was the first "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" ;) who posted a thread asking how to block the Ad's. Don Willis posted in that thread that anyone blocking Ad's would be banned. I got banned for posting to a thread that the grading services are all about marketing and money and not collector interests. Seems prophetic now. :)

So it seems to go with the Machiavellian world of Coins, ATS. Sorry you got banned Lee, I always thought that you are a pretty nice guy and pretty knowledgeable as well.

I didn't know Lee got bammed. Explains the missing LEEG Copper for the Weekend threads, but another ATS poster seems to be trying to keep the tradition going.

It's busy over there, but Mgmt. seems to be cutting off their nose despite their face with all these bannings. Must make them feel powerful to control the gateway.

I miss the knowledgabel posters ATS, might explain why I'm slumming over here at Sleepy Hollow!

Cheers!

Kirk

I miss the knowledgabel posters ATS, might explain why I'm slumming over here at Sleepy Hollow!

Cheers!

Kirk

No need to slum my friend, just go bac where you came from!

"Anaconda came back from the dead and has been gabby, gabby, gabby lately."

Sorry, I'll go to my room. :tonofbricks:

Honestly, no one noticed!! lol

Yea, I'd have to say, I've seen a lot of Snakes ATS!!

There is a discussion over there about whether is ethical to have a coin repaired.

My response has been that it is as long as that fact is disclosed.

I'd like to add that a coin with a major repair like a plug should be marked in some way other than a code, which what PCGS does with their "genuine" holders. I think if I said that I would be banned, so I have held my fingers in check. Codes are a poor means of communication because it hides the issue and causes confusion, but maybe that's the way PCGS wants it.

It’s a shame when you can’t express your honest opinions to a company with getting banned, but that’s what it’s like over there, and you have to abide by their rules to continue to contribute to the discussion.

Cheers!

Kirk

I use the term "slum" with tongue firmly placed in cheek. :signfunny: Many ATS think they are "too good" for over here.

I always get a kick out of the self-appointed PCGS police ATS who's posts warn folks to tame down their threads so as not to PO the host. These folks are concerned that CU will cancel the Collectors Forum. Then where would they go? (shrug) Well many will come here.

Cheers!

Kirk

I think the difference probably has to do more with the fact that many members ATS are primarily coin dealers who pay PCGS for membership in their dealer network. Somehow this equates in these dealers minds at least, as being morally and technically superior to almost all of the collectors to whom they sell everyday.

It is human nature and the norm for human behavior unfortunately. Consider trying to convince any medical professional (even a relatively untrained Physicians Assistant) that you know anything about any medical condition that you may have and watch them completely ignore anything that you have to say from that point on.

Personally, I prefer the easy going give and take that this site normally has and will return to when the present political purge going on ATS has passed and the ATS mavens have been forgiven and gone back where they can heckle one another to their hearts content.

I think the difference probably has to do more with the fact that many members ATS are primarily coin dealers who pay PCGS for membership in their dealer network. Somehow this equates in these dealers minds at least, as being morally and technically superior to almost all of the collectors to whom they sell everyday.

Interesting point. I pretty much agree.

As to Patsy Cline: :luhv: .

Interesting point. I pretty much agree.

As to Patsy Cline: :luhv: .

I couldn't help but notice the Long horn behind Patsy on the set and the LC Smith double barrel or the the Metlach steins over the mantle. (shrug)

I believe I was the first "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" ;) who posted a thread asking how to block the Ad's. Don Willis posted in that thread that anyone blocking Ad's would be banned. I got banned for posting to a thread that the grading services are all about marketing and money and not collector interests. Seems prophetic now. :)
Wow, you banned too. Funny, to this day I do not know why I was banned but I suspect I wrote something along the lines of "not collectors interests". And a simple search may have provided them with my ample writings on the topic.

Unfortunately both dealers and collectors have given PCGS the power to act in a manner that would put most companies out of business.

They ban a lot of knowledgeable nice guys.
Conder101---I'd include you in that group. Their loss is NGC's gain.

It's beyond belief that Conder101 doing original expert numismatic research and contributing valuable information would be banned ATS. Did they provide any reasonable justification for the ban? In any case, as quoted above, it's a tremendous loss to their organization and their members. Fortunately he's found a more welcome environment here.

It was "The Great Purge of Dec 2006" of which also included the infamous "Death by Moderation" where if you spoke any ill wills against the published rules of recreation, you were summarily *poofed* into oblivion...didn't matter who/what/ you were or what you contributed, if you fit the mandated criteria, you just simply disappeared.

I do believe there were some posts made here about the carnage ATS that caught up to a few and they were bammed ATS as a result. Can't prove that, but it's plausible.

Those were some dark days...we've had partly cloudy skies here, but the sun is shining more and more.

Welcome aboard deltiologist....I think we need one of those on board for our next coin cruise.

Hi Wooden Jefferson, Many thanks for the welcome and for recounting the story. Glad to see you're a fellow coffeeholic, and I think your signature line is terrific. Do you seriously collect wooden nickels?

IMO, If they really knew what they were doing ATS, they would apologize to conder101 and the others, and invite them back with open arms. I've been reading some of the old posts of conder101, really impressive stuff, he's apparently the number one historical researcher of TPGs. Even if he ever did make a little slip in one of his postings, so what, we all should be judged, if at all, in our totality, and not by tiny fragments. Kudos to NGC for harboring him here.

If I don't have my coffee in the morning, I'm grumpy all day and I do have a few wooden nickels, but know what, they are much bigger than a real nickel and float.

I googled deltiologist because I've never heard that term used before. I have one you might find interesting.

There is a discussion over there about whether is ethical to have a coin repaired.

My response has been that it is as long as that fact is disclosed.

I'd like to add that a coin with a major repair like a plug should be marked in some way other than a code, which what PCGS does with their "genuine" holders. I think if I said that I would be banned, so I have held my fingers in check. Codes are a poor means of communication because it hides the issue and causes confusion, but maybe that's the way PCGS wants it.

It’s a shame when you can’t express your honest opinions to a company with getting banned, but that’s what it’s like over there, and you have to abide by their rules to continue to contribute to the discussion.

I don;t disagree with you on the shame thing Bill but as for the "Codes are a poor means of communication" statement, this runs rampant in coin collecting.

The availability of die variety information is very lacking especially in the Moderns arena. I have no idea how much miney I've spent sending coins for attribution based upon limited photographs only to have them fail and be designated as some minor variety.

Variety folks know what I'm referring to. CONECA needs to open their photographic files so that these things can at least be minimally attributed before submission.

Having said that, I also agree with this Genuine code thing in that PCGS should define what the real problem might be with the coin. Stating that on the PCGS forums will not get you banned as long as you don't say "It's downright stupid and ingenuous of PCGS to NOT State the reason the coin got put in a Genuine Holder!" even though that might be what you think.

Cheers!

Kirk

I use the term "slum" with tongue firmly placed in cheek. :signfunny: Many ATS think they are "too good" for over here.

I always get a kick out of the self-appointed PCGS police ATS who's posts warn folks to tame down their threads so as not to PO the host. These folks are concerned that CU will cancel the Collectors Forum. Then where would they go? (shrug) Well many will come here.

Cheers!

Kirk

The primary reason I don;t spend more time over here is that the pages take forever to load.

Even if he ever did make a little slip in one of his postings, so what, we all should be judged, if at all, in our totality, and not by tiny fragments. Kudos to NGC for harboring him here. 

As I remember it Condor made a comment after they had banned a bunch of people in effect "If you ban them, you may as well ban me too." They took him up on his is offer. :(

What got me banned was they posted their new rule of "You can not criticize PCGS in any way, shape, or form." I posted that under this new rule I was sure to get banned eventually because I tend to speak my mind. Rather than risk being banned I will no longer be openly posting. I would however continue to help posters and answer questions via PM's. That was my last post and the only post I made after they posted the rules..

Within five hours I was banned.

I guess they took that as a criticism of PCGS and their rules.

After two months of seeing so many questions being asked and getting either ignored, incomplete answers, or even wrong information I couldn't stand it and created an alt so I could help them. That lasted for a year until I made the mistake of mentioning over here that I had an alt ATS. Didn't mention what it was, but within four hours that alt was banned. I haven't bothered going back there since. (Shortly after the initial banning I was contacted by PCGS.........They wanted two free copies of my book.)