• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the logic in...

6 posts in this topic

...counterfeiting bullion coins? Now normally it would seem obvious, to pass off less metal for the price of more metal. But I was reading the ANA counterfeit guide, and it stated that there are a number of counterfeit bullion coins, particularly Mexican 50-pesos floating around, but that the composition was identical to the genuine article. So why would anyone counterfeit a bullion coin with the correct amount of bullion in it?

I think Grover Cleveland was president the last time 50 pesos was worth more than the gold in the 50-peso gold piece (about 1.2 oz). So it couldn't be for the face value.

The only reason that I can think of is that it is easier to pass bullion coins than bullion. This is because most Bullion Dealers will do a smear/chemical test on raw gold to check finess. Whereas, bullion coins, if they look righteous, will more often be accepted at face. tongue.gif