• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some may not like it but for me it's the cats meow.....

30 posts in this topic

Sometimes as a collector you just instantly fall for a coin and you just know that regardless of what it costs you....your going to add that piece to your collection. Sometimes it's a classic that most of the collecting population would go crazy over and sometimes is more of a niche or specialty item. Everyone here that knows me knows that I collect toned coins....except maybe Chris M ;)

I don't have the biggest bank account so when I go hunting for toners to add to my collection I do my best within my budget to try to get toned coins with some character....an uncommon pattern or color on an otherwise completely common coin. Many have issues with the premiums I and others pay, but conceed that even though we may be crazy, it is our money to do with as we please.....that's about as close to agreement as toned coin collectors and non toned coin collector will probably ever get lol

When this coin was listed it was so different and so beautiful in my eyes that I knew I was going to purchase it before I even knew how I was going to pay for it. For my collection it's a show stopper that makes my little heart go pitter patter......you all know that type of coin.....whether it be the beautiful chocolate brown large cent with beautiful clean surfaces, that crusty old bust half that father time has allowed to acquire that beautiful rich grey patina you so crave....or perhaps it's the lightly circulated Dahlonega half eagle that came out of grandads prized collection. We all have our weak spots and this hobby is abound with possibilities and excitment as we all find that niche....that holy grail that may be right around the corner or many decades away.

So while I have no dilusions that the piece will float everyones boat....for me it's the cats meow and I am happy to add it to the start of my new collection. :cloud9:

I have shown a few images to a few people tryin to get opinions on the cause of this toning pattern and while no one is totally sure about it's origin, the coin is clearly a classic bag toned Morgan with anything but a classic toning pattern. It is my belief that this coin sat near a corner in a bank bag hence the two sided toning and furthermore that the seam inside the bag ran across the obverse which hindered the toning progression as it acted almost like a pocket to sheild part of the obverse.

Truly there was no way for me in the present holder to impart light across the entire surface of the coin but rest assured the only darker spot of toning is along the right side of the obverse and the rest of the obverse is covered in vibrant rainbow toning. The luster is far superior to anything I am used to out of a mid year P-mint coin, which only adds to the eye appeal.

1886Morgan.jpg

Here is a different lighting angle for the obverse which shows the rainbow toning through the middle of the coin and down the neck.

1886MorganObv2.jpg

1886MorganObv.jpg

That one sure is unique. I like it! It sort of resembles the cat's eye toners I see sometimes (which is why I thought you were making a pun in the title)

Looks more like a reverse Cats eye....

Still a great looking lady ^^

I didn't have the slightest idea that you liked toners! I thought surely that you were posting this, here, before you put it in the Marketplace. :roflmao:

Nice catch, Shane!

Chris

It needn't be a seam that caused the toning pattern on the obverse. The coin might simply have been up against a fold in the bag that caused part of the bag to lose contact with the coin and leave the area untoned. I like it.

It needn't be a seam that caused the toning pattern on the obverse. The coin might simply have been up against a fold in the bag that caused part of the bag to lose contact with the coin and leave the area untoned. I like it.

Ron Sirna just sent me a note stating the same thing....what's interesting is how long the bag would had to have been undisturbed to form this pattern...you would think even a small movement in the bag could have eliminated a fold with the amount of weight in silver that could have shifted in the bag :applause:

Ron Sirna just sent me a note stating the same thing....what's interesting is how long the bag would had to have been undisturbed to form this pattern...you would think even a small movement in the bag could have eliminated a fold with the amount of weight in silver that could have shifted in the bag :applause:

If it came from the Treasury release, the bag it was in may have had as many as 500 bags sitting on top of it. At one point, I think the TD had in excess of 350,000 bags in storage.

Chris

Sorry...took one more stab at moving the lights around the coin and changing angles and I finally got a shot of the obverse that is almost completely lit up and doesn't have all the dark spots the other images have.....YYYEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

1886Morgan006.jpg

1886Morgan010.jpg

Sorry...took one more stab at moving the lights around the coin and changing angles and I finally got a shot of the obverse that is almost completely lit up and doesn't have all the dark spots the other images have.....YYYEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

1886Morgan006.jpg

1886Morgan010.jpg

It's UGLY!

Send it to me, and I'll see that it won't bother you again.

Chris

Nice. How long did you have to search in order to find a nicely toned Morgan like that?

It showed up on Ebay but in roughly 5 years of buying and selling nothing but toned coins it is only the second one I have seen with this similar.....to quote Mark Feld....melted crayon look.....so while there are rainbow morgans that are more colorful, this one has a nice combination of color and unique pattern that I just love.

I am in the process of purchasing another show stopper catseye toner that I will post an image of once it's paid for on Friday.....Chris is going to hate me lol

Nice. How long did you have to search in order to find a nicely toned Morgan like that?

It showed up on Ebay but in roughly 5 years of buying and selling nothing but toned coins it is only the second one I have seen with this similar.....to quote Mark Feld....melted crayon look.....so while there are rainbow morgans that are more colorful, this one has a nice combination of color and unique pattern that I just love.

I am in the process of purchasing another show stopper catseye toner that I will post an image of once it's paid for on Friday.....Chris is going to hate me lol

Hate you? Nah! I have your address.

Chris

Nice coin! Did the cat pee on it?

Not that I am aware of but I don't know where it's been over the last 100+ years... lol

Then I would strongly advise that you stop licking it!

Chris