• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956 thru 1964 Washington Type B Quarter diagnostics pictorial

19 posts in this topic

Hope this helps you folks!! These were circulation strikes that had a proof die used for the reverse.

Leaf will touch the "A"

5.jpg

Right wing tip (facing coin) will be pointed.

4.jpg

Leaf will be above arrow points

3.jpg

"M" will bracket the "IB"

2.jpg

Larger space between "E" and "S" of States

1.jpg

And there will be a slight die rotation

57tonerqtr1.jpg

What are they worth?

Depends on the date. With 1957 and 1959 being the easiest to find IMO, and the grade. The '57 doesn't sell for that much of a premium unless it's graded ms66-67. Then you can expect $60-100 for a ms66 example.

While the '56 is the rarest and the last one that I saw sold was a pcgs ms65 (unattributed type B) on TT for about $220

That's a great summary of the Type B reverses. These are similar to the Franklin Type II's that I discussed a while ago - business strikes struck with proof dies. Some of these are prooflike because of the use of unfinished proof dies.

Are there any prooflike Type B reverse Washington's?

That's a great summary of the Type B reverses. These are similar to the Franklin Type II's that I discussed a while ago - business strikes struck with proof dies. Some of these are prooflike because of the use of unfinished proof dies.

Are there any prooflike Type B reverse Washington's?

I don't know of any prooflike.

Being that PL washington quarters are extremely rare to begin with, the scarce type B varities are at a disadvantage out of the gate. However, the Proof dies used on them have produced some interesting mirrored coins. I have a 1960 NGC MS66 Type B with a solid PL reverse, and another 1960 NGC MS65 Type B with rich, glassy, truly borderline NGC PL surfaces on both sides. Most would consider it PL, though it doesn't meet NGC's tough (though poorly defined ;) ) standards for the designation. I also have a reflective, semi-PL 1958 NGC MS65. I have not seen any other Type B dates with anything close to PL luster, though I suspect the 1960s dates may eventually yeild a few borderline pieces.

1960 is by far the most common Type B quarter date. 1959 and 1957 are next. 1956, 1958, and 1963 are pretty tough, but 1961, 1962, and 1964 are much harder to get than any other. This is based on my close observations only. Keep in mind NGC does not attribute these, and PCGS only started a couple years ago (and only for a large fee), so the certified population is completely unkown.

I wouldnt say they are all technically PL, I've only seen 1 with a fully PL reverse, and 1 with an obverse and reverse that just missed true PL. I'm talking designatable PL mirrors, not just a glossy or semi-PL finish. Many Type Bs are glossy because the dies were once proof quality, but coins with true PL characteristics are next to impossible.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC began attributing Type B reverse quarters 1956-64 as of the first of the year. They must be submitted under our VarietyPlus service.

thanks, your info has helped me determine if earlier quarters (37-42 and 50-55), where proof strikes. Which is beneficial with those iffy MS or PR year set determinaions off of bad photos