• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When in Western Montana, stop at “Lincoln’s 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar”

15 posts in this topic

I ran across this place by accident and thought I'd bring it to your attention. Me, I've never been in Western Montana.

The business had its start in 1951 when Rex Lincoln’s parents, Gerry and Marie Lincoln, built a small bar along old Highway 10, just west of Alberton, MT.

Back in those days Montana was home to the silver dollar. Lots of people were paid their weekly wages in "cartwheels." If you made a small purchase, you had to be careful about paying with a big bill, because you’d probably get your change in silver dollars. On October 1, 1952, Gerry cut a round hole in the top of the bar and pounded a silver dollar into it and inscribed his and Marie’s names beneath it.

Other people liked the idea and just a year later the collection of silver dollars had grown to over 2,000, and the Lincolns changed the name of their business from “Cherry Springs Bar” to “Lincoln’s 2,000 Silver Dollar Bar.” Since then the collection has continued to grow, and the business kept changing its name until it hit 10,000.

As for all those silver dollars that draw in travelers for a needed break, the big coins keep coming in at the rate of about 1,500 per year. The oldest and probably rarest coin in the collection is an 1876 Hong Kong trade dollar.

The Lincolns say, of the collection, 10,623 are real silver dollars, which does confirm the basic truth of the claim to 10,000 silver dollars. Since 1972, when silver prices escalated, people still bring in the dollars, but they’re Eisenhower dollars, a copper/nickel "sandwich" coin. Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea dollar coins apparently aren’t welcome on these walls. In one image I pulled off the net, the count was 46,789 dollars.

silver5.jpg

silver7.jpg

silver6.jpg

silverdollar.jpg

silverII.jpg

silverIII.jpg

Present owners, Rex Lincoln & Sharyn Lincoln

Wow that is some collection .

The coins are probably worth more then the bar . It must take a bit of time to mount them and then get them up for display .

Cheers

Yeah, it puts the Silver Queen in Virginia City, NV to shame, too! She is adorned with a mere 3,500 silver dollars. That's cool! Thanks for posting it Woody.

I wonder if Hoot ever visited there when he lived in Bozeman. hm

Chris

Yeah, it puts the Silver Queen in Virginia City, NV to shame, too! She is adorned with a mere 3,500 silver dollars. That's cool! Thanks for posting it Woody.

Chris

There's a semi-famous person burried there in Bozeman also.

Find a grave

Chris

There's a semi-famous person burried there in Bozeman also.

Find a grave

It would probably be more apt to call him semi-notorious since he conned the original claimholders out of a share of their discovery.

Chris