• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts and Opinions?

17 posts in this topic

Maybe this is better suited for the hey buddy... but This is more than just a grade... Opinions based on this photo? The luster on this coin is killer.

38tb.jpg

Just by looking at the Obv, I love the details and strike of the coin. I'm not sure about the color tho' Bruce. It would shout AT to me but I'm not familiar with different buff tonings.

Yours looks very similar to one of my ex-proof Buffs. Based on that and PCGS's agreement with the proof, I would say NT.

I disagree. I think there is a significant difference between the business strike, which is darker in the center than at the periphery, compared to the Proof, which is more deeply toned at the border than in the center. The latter is typical/expected, while the former is not.

I am not sure about this coin. One thing that makes me question it is the splotchiness behind his neck - the way the blue toning doesn't flow. On Bob's coin, see how the colors are smooth, transition smoothly, and flow over the devices smoothly? That's how I would expect an NT Buff to look - not splotchy with more abrupt transitions such as on your coin, Bruce.

The colors on NT nickels are also very pastel. I have yet to see a boldly toned buff (and the one guy I've seen who claimed to have one, and argued up and down that it was real, turned out to be a coin doctor a few months later, despite me telling him this at the time!)

I have some clad dimes with a similar look, which were purchased from a Louisiana dealer. They had been salvaged from his shop after hurricane Katrina. (Is floodwater toning "natural"? :o )

The color is a bit funky, though I suspect there might be some white balance issues with the images. Regardless, on an uber- common issue such as the 1938-D Buff, I would hope to avoid the reverse spots.