• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Just Completed My Franklin Half Dollar Set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (giveaway inside)

57 posts in this topic

With the purchase of the incredibly elusive 1952S tonight, I completed my Franklin half dollar set. Every coin is a minimum of 64FBL, every coin is slabbed by NGC, and every coin is a well struck FBL (with the exception of the 1953S, of course).

Tonight marks the culmination of 8 years of work, and I can think of no better coin to finish the set with. The 1952S is the second hardest coin in the entire series, next to the 1953S, and I have only seen a handful of NGC FBL's appear at auction over the past couple years. There was a 64FBL in a recent Heritage auction which I decided to pass on because it was unattractive, as much as I wanted it. Mark Feld helped me make that decision (thanks!) I was pleased to see this coin appear on Ebay from greattoning, with whom I have had positive transactions with before (and who is known to several board members). His coins are usually quite attractive, so I had no reservations in bidding on this one.

I was able to get this coin for a very fair price (well under Numismedia and PCGS retail, and even under recent Heritage completed auctions). Needless to say, I was willing to go considerably higher.

Please help me celebrate! I am going to have a giveaway: a 1962D NGC MS-64FBL Franklin, well struck and brilliant white. This coin is deceptively hard, despite the somewhat low retail value. To enter the giveaway - go to my Registry set, and post what my first Franklin was. For a bonus entry, what was my first NGC slabbed Franklin? I just won the auction tonight, the giveaway will close when I receive this coin in hand.

So, without further ado, here it is!

91232.jpg.8ab95e1525610a74e6658aa1ba31f9ae.jpg

91233.jpg.7637f547d8370af1bc2a349a2598e086.jpg

First NGC

1952 D 1-12-2004 truly a great set, Jason

Jim

First Frankie

I can remember the first one even now – a 1963D, a little beat up, but it had a gorgeous crescent of orangey golden album toning around the rims. I was hooked.

CONGRATULATIONS, Jason!!! WhooHoo!!! :whee::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: Putting together a nice Franklin set is a lot more difficult than most people realize. Particularly one as nice as the set that you put together.

A '52-S in 65FBL is a REAL toughie. Congratulations! Those images are a little blurry. When you get it, please image it and post it here to the boards. BTW, I really like all the extra info about Franklins you've added to your set over time.

You have every reason to be proud, Jason. Congratulations!

For your contest...........................

1st Coin - 1963D (senior year in high school)

1st Slab - 1952D (NGC MS64FBL, $28 at FUN 2004)

Chris

WOW!

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!

Completing a Franklin set in such high grade with FBLs is truly a stunning achievement!

Congratulations on acquisition of what I know to be a crazy difficult final piece of the puzzle!

Awesome! (thumbs u Hey and I want to agree, I have enjoyed my first year at this board partly because of what I have learned about Franklins "Thanks to you"

You have shown us many great Frankies along the way. So "Thank you" Jason. Gosh, whats next for your collection?

Congratulations - a beautiful set that represents years of work. It's a fantastic feeling to complete a set like that, so bask in your glory!

#1 1963D

#1 NGC 1952D

Thanks for the chance!

Oh, come on now guys. Isn't it obvious? Now that he has completed this set, he can move on to collecting the complete Franklin proof set next. ;)

Thanks guys!

James- I've looked at those, and if I ever see one I like (at a price I like) I will pick one up, for obvious reasons.

I really honestly have no idea where I want to go next. I'm in the process of trying to decide that now, and will be picking up a few coins which may or may not be the start of my next set. The next couple of months, until I decide, I'll be trying different series on for size, and see what I like. I'm guessing my trip to FUN will also help decide.

:acclaim: Again, I would like to commend you on a super set and thank you for the knowledge you have shared the past couple of years I've been here. I like the 1952-S and I'm kinda glad I didn't see it on the bay and bid it up. (thumbs u

:acclaim: Again, I would like to commend you on a super set and thank you for the knowledge you have shared the past couple of years I've been here. I like the 1952-S and I'm kinda glad I didn't see it on the bay and bid it up. (thumbs u

I'm glad too, although I can guarantee you would have lost. ;) Thanks for the compliment, I really enjoy hearing people say they have learned something from my set.

Jason----- I'd like to add my congrats to those before me. But, I paid attention to the 8 years that it took you. That means a lot of dedication and above all----Patience.

By some coincidence, I technically finished one of my Walker sets last night. I purchased # 290380181406 last evening. As you did, it took me 10 years to finish the set. I hope it arrives this week as my Christmas present to myself. I won't add the coin until I have it in hand.

It has been quite busy around here lately with my wife working many, many extra hours at the local post office. I hope shortly to complete some picture taking----and to add that last 1936S Walker. Was fitting that I added an "NGC" MS66 coin as my final empty space.

Naturally, I will always continue to look for upgrades for both sets. Always room for improvement.

My advice on your next adventure is only to pick something that "CAN" be finished eventually----as well as something that is time consuming. One needs to have a set or series that can hold one's interest over time. Make it affordable within reason. Well done and continued good fortune with whatever your choice might be. As always. Bob [supertooth]