• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think PCGS got this one right....

16 posts in this topic

The scratches look somewhat fresh. If they are bright, then NGC got it right. If they are darkened by many years of age, then PCGS got it right.

None are bright and all are practically invisible in hand.....when NGC BB'd the coin I was shocked......when PCGS graded it ....I was even more shocked becuase I usually expect PCGS to be tougher....but that's why we pay for opinions lol

The reverse ?

a) in the shield area, big scrape or something

b) middle olive leaf has a white spot that looks like a scratch

c) scratches near the rim below that

Agreed it still looks like a nice coin ! probably borderline

The reverse ?

Let's be honest, if you did not know that this coin had previously bodybagged for damage, would you be so critical?

The reverse ?

Let's be honest, if you did not know that this coin had previously bodybagged for damage, would you be so critical?

Let's be honest, if you did not know that this coin had previously been graded as problem-free, would you be so forgiving? :devil:

The reverse ?

Let's be honest, if you did not know that this coin had previously been graded as problem-free, would you be so forgiving? :devil:

Yes.

I see nothing in the pictures that should keep this coin out of a problem-free slab. For the amount of wear, I think a few light scratches are well within reason. I've seen worse in problem-free holders before.

Since you used to do this for a living, however, I'd defer to you if you think otherwise.

The reverse ?

Yes.

I see nothing in the pictures that should keep this coin out of a problem-free slab. For the amount of wear, I think a few light scratches are well within reason. I've seen worse in problem-free holders before.

Since you used to do this for a living, however, I'd defer to you if you think otherwise.

Based on the images, I would have guessed it would grade. But I'm curious as to how the reverse scratch on the shield and the small dark areas on the obverse portrait look in person.

Everything seems to blend in quite naturally in hand but I believe some light scratches on the obverse, which I feel are completely acceptable for the grade is what caused NGC to body bag the coin. Apparently they did not feel it they were acceptable so.....we have 3 opinions....2 that match (Me & PCGS) and then NGC. I simply agree with PCGS after looking this coin over thoroughly with a loop etc as the scratches are barely noticable in hand and are not fresh.

I wanted the coin in a holder to make it a bit more marketable if I ever have to sell so we are all happy....PCGS and NGC got paid and I now have a certified coin ;)

If I happen to make it to the FUN show during the week Mark, I will bring the coin with me (thumbs u