• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sy finally let me see his Avatar- New Images added on Page 2

22 posts in this topic

After a couple years of begging, Sy finally relented and allowed me to take pictures of his Avatar. Bruce has already taken a great image of this spectacular Battle Creek Morgan and Sy really didn't another. This request was for me and my therapy.

Believe me, I know that these images smack of being juiced, but these are as close to in hand viewing under the lights as possible. Ask Bruce or Sy, this is indeed a kaleidoscopic monster.

A couple of images of each side.

1886AvatarObv021HR.jpg

1886AvatarObv018HR.jpg

1886AvatarRev021HR.jpg

1886AvatarRev014HR.jpg

Okay, super Noob question here: How do you get the coin all rainbowy like that? I got a bunch of coins in my pocket and they don't look nearly that cool.

That coin is just unreal! I have stared at Sy's avatar many times wondering what the coin actually looked like.

Thanks for the pics Bob!

What grade did NGC give this one?

Okay, super Noob question here: How do you get the coin all rainbowy like that? I got a bunch of coins in my pocket and they don't look nearly that cool.

I love that adjective - rainbowy.

See this article on a member's website about the science of toning

http://www.ivyleaguecoin.com/scienceoftoning.html

That coin is just unreal! I have stared at Sy's avatar many times wondering what the coin actually looked like.

Thanks for the pics Bob!

What grade did NGC give this one?

In hand under normal room lights the toning is a little darker with the coin loaded with luster, but under the lights and lens the colors do pop as shown in Sy's avatar.

NGC MS64*

As one who was able to see more than 300 battle creek coins at one of the original auctions held at the Orlando FUN show several years back.....I can tell you these coins can be darn near neon in hand, especially when you put any significant light source over the top of them. I also used to own 6 or 7 of these coins and they were simply amazing.

I think the comments by Bob about the coin being darker in hand is both interesting and expected. If anyone has ever sent in a raw toner to NGC and then had the coin returned in the old non edgeview holders....you know that a lack of light to the surface of the coin does indeed make the coins look darker (thumbs u

I am just glad that Sy and I are such good friends as he has already placed stipulations in his will that the coin will pass to me should some unfortunate accident befall him. In light of this revelation I have purchased a few items to use around the house including a rope, a candlestick, a wrench, a knife, a lead pipe, and a gun......but I assure you their are no alterior motives behind these purchases :devil:

These were taken with less light to hopefully illustrate more about what I meant about the toning being a little darker in hand with normal lighting. I also included 2 partial slab shots as they came straight from the camera, no cropping or adjustments.

1886AvatarRev033HR.jpg

1886AvatarRev040HR.jpg

I QUITE like the new set of images Bob!!! IMO they give a closer representation of the coin... same colors (not quite as lit up) with more luster.

...I am just glad that Sy and I are such good friends as he has already placed stipulations in his will that the coin will pass to me should some unfortunate accident befall him. In light of this revelation I have purchased a few items to use around the house including a rope, a candlestick, a wrench, a knife, a lead pipe, and a gun......but I assure you their are no alterior motives behind these purchases :devil:

It's odd about that will, Shane, I think there's something in there about rope, candlestick, wrenches, knives, lead pipes, and guns... it must have been something I wrote in during my divorce proceedings. :slapfight:

I QUITE like the new set of images Bob!!! IMO they give a closer representation of the coin... same colors (not quite as lit up) with more luster.

I agree Sy. They do represent the coin much better. I was previously trying to recreate Bruce's image of the popping color and thought I would lose it if it were not lit up. I do like these better.

I agree Sy. They do represent the coin much better. I was previously trying to recreate Bruce's image of the popping color and thought I would lose it if it were not lit up. I do like these better.

My avatar image is a Laura D. image. Bruce's images are closer to your second set.

My avatar image is a Laura D. image. Bruce's images are closer to your second set.

It would be interesting if you could post full size images from the various people who have photgraphed it, so we can see the difference in styles. Bob, Laura, and Bruce are all excellent photographers, but its interesting to see the completely different look each brings out, and how they emphasize different things.

It would be interesting if you could post full size images from the various people who have photgraphed it, so we can see the difference in styles. Bob, Laura, and Bruce are all excellent photographers, but its interesting to see the completely different look each brings out, and how they emphasize different things.

Obviously you've got Bob's already on this thread.

Here's Bruce's...

1162_64_BruceL.jpg

1162_64_BruceLRev.jpg

and here's Laura's...

1162_64_2645_3150.jpg

Of the 3 I'd say Bob's 2nd set of images comes closest to the look of the coin.

Thanks Sy. I'll agree, Bob's second set looks most realistic. Bruce's look good, but Laura's look.... juiced? There is just something that doesn't look right about hers, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Thanks Sy. I'll agree, Bob's second set looks most realistic. Bruce's look good, but Laura's look.... juiced? There is just something that doesn't look right about hers, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

I believe it's a scan so intense light reflecting off the surface could cause some distortion in the overall colors....but since I haven't seen the coin in hand I can't really comment on the accuracy of any of the images.