• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A gallery of errors - Post Yours!

33 posts in this topic

I have been re-photo-ing basically my whole collection, and I recently redid my errors. I don't have anything major, but what I do have I think is pretty cool. So, post your error coins!

First up is an 85% off center Lincoln that I know I've posted here before.

Next is a Franklin with a double clip - the large one at K11 is complemented by a much smaller one at K8.

I know you all have seen these last two, they are both from Australia. I bought the huge lamination from RI AL, the off center was a generous gift from Rare Sov.

85796.jpg.b8cbed604acb1e24006834b3751b3266.jpg

85797.jpg.875afb8a19e2352ca832e7b08ceeff4f.jpg

85798.jpg.f0d7ff6043e828e4b64e1bcdae048973.jpg

85799.jpg.50ed96cba1d0252b1e717b5aad6ee397.jpg

I don't have many errors. A few Lincoln's with clips and one '68-S Proof Washington quarter that I found in circulation with a clip. I'll have to dig it out and photograph it. Probably the most dramatic is this unplated Lincoln that was purchased raw and now is in an NGC slab graded MS64.

86Do367.jpg

86Dr369.jpg

I just got this one out of the vending machine at work two days ago, It looks to be on a thin planchet. Here in a little bit I will have to put it to the micrometer and a scale to measure it an d weigh it.

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

I never really understood the use of 1/2 penny...I guess it was used for items that were sold for 2 for 1¢ and you say, well in that case, just give me one then.

But payinbg for taxes comes to mind.

Nice error coins, it's not often you find a circulated Franklin with a clip.

This is the only one I could find, outside of a 2-cent with a rotated reverse (they never seem to have the impace in photos!). Enjoy this 110 year-old!

85830.jpg.1779a50906993f3b911ef6b52969ef9e.jpg

85831.jpg.a6d0b00f5a3377a5cb6bbefc2f109f12.jpg

Bugmann, I've got a South Carolina like that, and I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Pretty cool!

Ok so I have taken some measurments of mine and compared them to a regular UNC Washington D.C. quarter.

Thickness at the stacking rim:

Maine - .056"

D.C. - .068"

Thickness at the center of the coin:

Maine - .057"

D.C. - .060

Weight in grams:

Maine - 5.5 Gr.

D.C. - 5.5 Gr.

The Planchet on the Maine does in fact seem to be thinner on this Maine Quarter thought not by really that much, but it seems to make a huge difference.

Just to make sure that the quarter has not been messed with I am going to take a state quarter and grind it down untill the stacking rims are the same thickness and see what I get...

Just to make sure that the quarter has not been messed with I am going to take a state quarter and grind it down untill the stacking rims are the same thickness and see what I get...

Ok, so I ground a quarter down (even amounts on both sides) , and I got a very worn looking quarter lol

An interesting thing of note, all devices and legends are present and the rims are almost full. It looks nothing like my Maine. This got me to thinking so I pulled some more measureing instraments out of the cabinet.

As it turns out, It was not a thin planchet, The dies in the coin press were spaced about .004-.006" to far apart. I figured this out by measuring the depth of the stacking rims to the field of the coin on both sides and substracting that from the total thickness of the stacking rim. Thus giving me the thickness at the fields. It is amazing how much of a difference five thousanths of an inch in die spacing can make!

So I guess this would be a die adjustment error?

Is that your pill box Irvin? Nice clam.

Thanks Bob I saw the matching quarter in Coin W. back about 10 or 15 years ago. Meant to see who had the mate. I could get the nitroquick in there if i squeezed it a little. :roflmao:

A few simple errors (no multiple errors):

Wrong metal/planchet, struck on a 5c blank:

25c-1982p-on_5c_blank.jpg

Double denomination, Lincoln cent struck on a Roosevelt dime:

1c-2000-dbl_denom_10c.jpg

Edge strike:

1c-nd-edge_strike.jpg

Foldover strike:

1c-1981-foldover.jpg

Indent, partially struck through a second blank:

1c-nd-indent.jpg

Partial brockage, partially struck through a previously struck coin:

1c-1990-partial_brockage.jpg

Split planchet, blank split or laminated approximately in half before strike:

1c-1959-split_planchet.jpg

Holed planchet:

1c-1959d-holed_planchet.jpg

Struck clad layer, split before the strike:

25c-nd-clad_layer.jpg

Counterbrockage, struck through a brockage coin:

1c-nd-counterbrockage.jpg

Here are the two coolest error coins I've ever owned. I sold them as part of my business. These two dimes were struck together when two planchets were fed between the dies at the same time. On piece got and obverse and the other one got a reverse. The coins were found together and submitted to PCGS to make up a set.

ErrorCoin1.jpg

ErrorCoin2.jpg

ErrorCoins.jpg