• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I was playing around with diffused lighting last night

19 posts in this topic

And the results were fantastic! I had not really explored using diffused lighting all that much, but I decided to try it on a few coins I was having problems with. I have three halogen lamps on goosenecks so they are fully adjustable, and I was using a sheet of white paper to diffuse at least one of the lights. I found that leaving one or two of the lights bare brought out the luster, but diffusing one light allowed me to direct the light so that the colors came out much more. Tell me what you think:

JPA774obverse.jpg

JPA774reverse.jpg

JPA801obverse-1.jpg

JPA801reverse-1.jpg

JPA807obverse.jpg

JPA807reverse.jpg

JPA820obverse.jpg

JPA820reverse.jpg

JPA821obverse.jpg

JPA821reverse.jpg

Great images. What camera/settings are you using?

I've got a Canon Powershot SX100IS, the same as Shane and a couple other of the guys on here. I have it in manual mode, and adjust the lights and such with every shot, so the settings are never the same.

Same camera so look forward to getting such high quality shots ;)

I give you 9.9/10 for those images.. cannot give 10/10 but cannot find any real faults ! someone might.. :P

I give you 9.9/10 for those images.. cannot give 10/10 but cannot find any real faults ! someone might.. :P

You're as bad as a professor I had in college. He absolutely never in his entire career gave an A+ to anyone. He said he had never seen a paper worth an A+. He said I came close, but not quite. He was also one of my favorite professors, I went over to his house for Thanksgiving dinner every year.

Thanks guys for all the great comments!

K.. you have some reflecty stuff in the flip ones :P

Thats really one of the biggest problems I have. When taking pictures of coins in 2x2s, especially when teh 2x2 isn't exactly the right size, I get all sorts of weird reflections and stuff. If I move the light to avoid the reflections, then the coin isn't properly lit. I have to compromise. This is really a problem moreso on my foreign coins, which have all sorts of weird sizes.