• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PL clad quarters

14 posts in this topic

It's interesting to see that NGC is now actually grading some MS clad quarters as Proof Likes. Most of these 63 coins exist as PL's (if not all), but many are rarely seen. A collection of these would be incredible! Unfortunately most clad PL's are not very attractive coins because of excessive marking and the tendency for the marking to be very noticeable against the PL surfaces.

Probably no more than a few of the PL's exist in high grade.

Interesting. I recall reading about NGC's decision to designate PL clad state quarters, but I wondered then and still wonder, must these coins be cameo to be PL? I have seen many modern coins with mirrored surfaces, but never one with a distinct cameo appearance.

I remember some years ago I ran into a dealer who dealt in PL Ikes. He had a number of them as I recall. I remember talking to him about Alan Hagar's book (I know, I know...that name is taboo!) on Ikes where he tried to show the rarity of them. It's true. I haven't seen a PL Ike since and that was a good 12 years ago. Haven't seen a state quarter PL either...but in both case it may be that I'm just not really looking... laugh.gif

jom

Jom,

I own two 72-D Ikes that are PL. Both are at ANACS being attributed as pegged-leg, but should be home next week. I'll put up a pic. They're striking, because the Ikes generally have such a poor surface they almost look porous. These actually have mirrors. Both of mine have identical obverse die polish lines, so they obviously were brothers. As for the PL clad Washingtons, I'm rather fond of the look, and own a 69-D that comes close to the cameo designation. Here's a pic of a 70-D that is PL in hand.

70d-1.jpg

70d-2.jpg

"Unfortunately most clad PL's are not very attractive coins because of excessive marking and the tendency for the marking to be very noticeable against the PL surfaces."

I have a 1993 Jefferson nickel that is designated PL by NGC but it only grades MS63 due to the evident marks on the surfaces. The coin is very interesting in appearance and is brilliant with no hint of cameo.

I have several Jeffersons from the early 1960s that are PL and even show a tad of cameo contrast but did not receive the designation by NGC. They do not compare for the degree of mirrors with the 1993 but they have unmistakably mirrored fields.

Hoot

I don't recall seeing any really cameo PL Washingtons(except SMS), but when these are struck by very fresh dies the "roughness" imparted to the coin can appear to be vaguely cameo.

I've owned many PL Ikes over the years. I just sold one a few months back. It was a 1972-S and the PL did not bring a big premium.
Greg, the "S" mint is probably somewhat less scarce, but the "D" mint is unusual if it a true, full PL.

-I've seen a couple ANACS State Quarters in PL and they're kind of pretty. One even had mirrors that made it look like an SMS.

Greg, the "S" mint is probably somewhat less scarce, but the "D" mint is unusual if it a true, full PL.

-I've seen a couple ANACS State Quarters in PL and they're kind of pretty. One even had mirrors that made it look like an SMS.

I've seen a few 71-D, 72-D, and 76 P&D (both types) that are PL. Years ago they sold quite well in ACG slabs (back when ACG wasn't pure scum). Alan Hager used to have a booth at Long Beach with a bunch of TRUE deep PL ones.

The state quarters in PL are somewhat common. I sold an NGC MS65PL for something like $2.50 on eBay. blush.gif Guess I won't be slabbing more of these. smirk.gif

Hey Greg, if you run into any PL State Quarters let me know. laugh.gif

72-D Ikes always seemed to be nicely made (relatively speaking). Finding early P mints I'd imagine is probably very difficult. Either way, PL's have got to be scarce at either mint....be I'd expect D mints to be "easier" to find.

jom

I've seen a few 71-D, 72-D, and 76 P&D (both types) that are PL. Years ago they sold quite well in ACG slabs (back when ACG wasn't pure scum). Alan Hager used to have a booth at Long Beach with a bunch of TRUE deep PL ones.

The state quarters in PL are somewhat common. I sold an NGC MS65PL for something like $2.50 on eBay. blush.gif Guess I won't be slabbing more of these. smirk.gif

I've seen those PL Ikes too but unfortunately hardly any of them would make full GEM MS65 or better. Tons of ticks and some hairlines, from what I recall.

72-D Ikes always seemed to be nicely made (relatively speaking). Finding early P mints I'd imagine is probably very difficult. Either way, PL's have got to be scarce at either mint....be I'd expect D mints to be "easier" to find.

Ikes are tough in PL. Quarter are hardly common but the Ikes can be nearly impossible and probably none is truly common. The D mint coins of all denominations tend to be much better than the P mint coins, but are not necessarily tougher in the highest grades or in PL.

Pat,

In the first pic below (both 72-D), the coin on the left is from a heavily polished die. It is coincidentally a pegged-leg. In the second pic (coin from the left), you can clearly see the die polish lines in the left obv.field. The coin is attractive, but is very baggy.

plike.jpg

peg.jpg

I recognize that Ike from a Thread running a couple of weeks ago over at PCGS. True PL and you've nailed it as to the reason why.

Some find this attractive. I do, from a distance, for rarity sakes, but I'd prefer a lusterous Ike that is not PL as upon closer inspection I find the qualities that make that Ike PL not attractive (massive die polishing lines).