• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAL Gold Quarter Dollar

16 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was recently given this fractional gold piece. I don't know anything about fractional gold (its a very tiny piece!), so I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this coin. From what I've read online a lot of them aren't real, and none of my books have much info on them, so I could use some help please. I'm mostly just looking for an idea of what it is. Also is the G on the obverse for gold or a mint mark (the G looks a little odd to me)? Thanks for the help.

calheads.jpg

caltails.jpg

Iunno, the teletrade one and yours do look similar. You really need a better quality picture of yours, as from your pictures, it appears a nice counterfeit green color. But it very well may be authentic.

The illustrated piece is BG838. It's a little dirty, but otherwise appears to be a nice coin.

There are very few pieces made after 1883 with the word DOLLAR on them, although some of those are very common. It is worth your time to learn to recognize them if you want to buy any California fractional gold.

--

Mike Locke California Gold

www.calgoldcoin.com

lockem@calgoldcoin.com

I too think that it's genuine, but I'm no expert in this area.

I've read that some these things were struck with wooden dies. If that is true, it's now wonder that some of them were so crude.

I've read that some these things were struck with wooden dies. If that is true, it's now wonder that some of them were so crude.

Could that be the cause of the green hue I'm seeing, or is that just something with my eyes or a bad light?

Could that be the cause of the green hue I'm seeing, or is that just something with my eyes or a bad light?

White balance is off for the images, which is why they look overly greenish. However, you can very often find these coins with a greenish cast. It's a classic hue for fractional gold. In fact, it's one of the things I find really appealing about them. If they were not so very dearly priced, I think it is a series that would be a blast to collect.

I love how Dahlonega and Charlotte gold with original skin take on a greenish cast as well.