• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, Here's the thing:

19 posts in this topic

I know this has been asked before, but for the life of me I can't find the Thread and answer:

What is the average time line for NGC's grading? For example, I have a submission of twenty in (all 'Cross-at-any-Grade') and as of yesterday the notification changed from "Scheduled for Grading" to "Grading".

What is the next step? And the next?

I also send enough postage for one day delivery back to me (I really wanted this order before Long Beach). Should I remain hopeful?

Contructive post.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Answer: No.

TRUTH

Come on, be honest. You used your Magic Eight Ball to arrive at that random answer, true?

Pat,

My head is hurting. Your quote makes me look like I answered my own post using your words. 893frustrated.gif Please use quote button with care.

TRUTH

Pat,

My head is hurting. Your quote makes me look like I answered my own post using your words. 893frustrated.gif Please use quote button with care.

TRUTH

Yes, I see my error now. I didn't scroll down past 'TRUTH'.

Ok, it's fixed now. How about answering my question for real?

Grading room can take a while. I have had my coins sit in the grading room for up to 3 days. After grading room is encapsulation, then shipment. I believe that it take 1-2 working days in the encapsulation process. Shipment process of NGC is very quick and usually same day. Shipment registered mail is the big iffy. I have had east coast reg. mail take as little as 4 days and as long as 8 days. But if you paid next day mail, I think you are OK.

TRUTH

I know this has been asked before, but for the life of me I can't find the Thread and answer:

What is the average time line for NGC's grading? For example, I have a submission of twenty in (all 'Cross-at-any-Grade') and as of yesterday the notification changed from "Scheduled for Grading" to "Grading".

What is the next step? And the next?

I also send enough postage for one day delivery back to me (I really wanted this order before Long Beach). Should I remain hopeful?

The timeline is:

Received (1 day)

Scheduled for Grading (80% of the estimated grading time - i.e. if 30 day service, expect this to be 24 days).

Grading (2 days)

Quality Control (2 days)

Finalized/Imaged/Shipped (Done - 0 days)

Those are appx. for the Economy/Modern/World Value Tiers. For the Early Bird Tier expect Grading/QC/FIS to take 1-2 days total. For Express they will fly thru these steps in under a day.

If you wanted them back at Long Beach you should have requested to pick them up at the show. You save on shipping.

If they are in the Grading stage then you will VERY likely get them before Long Beach. I'd expect you'd have them in under a week.

Thanks guys. TRUTH: I will avoid the possible mail delay as I sent them overnight and also paid for the same one day return.

Once they ship I should have them within a couple of days.

On a side note: I cracked open an older make PCGS MS66 1971-S Ike that I'd swear would/should go MS67+ via an NGC submission. I was going to add it to a short list of coins I plan on walking through NGC on Thursday of the Long Beach show.

I gently dipped it and after curration noticed a series of light hairlines just left of the portrait.

I'm sure NGC will NOT miss these and there is NO way this coin is a shot 67 any longer. The good news is I saved the $55. fee. The bad news is I turned a "PCGS MS66" $30. Ike into a raw $4. coin.

"The good news is I saved the $55. fee. The bad news is I turned a "PCGS MS66" $30. Ike into a raw $4. coin."

Ohch! flamed.gif Well if it make you feel any better Pat, I once ruined a $200+ coin while cracking it out of an ANACS slab! 893whatthe.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

Think of it this way on the Ike.

Assume a non upgrade

Submission $55.00

Now a dipped Ike

Loss of $26

Savings of $55 for non submission

Loss of $26 for dipping

NET SAVINGS of $29 and you still have the Ike dollar!!!!!! grin.gif Then you roll the $29 into the hamburger bet. Potential winnings: unlimited.

TRUTH

Assume a non upgrade

Submission $55.00

Now a dipped Ike

Loss of $26

Loss of $26 for dipping

NET SAVINGS of $29 and you still have the Ike dollar!!!!!! grin.gif Then you roll the $29 into the hamburger bet. Potential winnings: unlimited.

TRUTH

TRUTH- Now I know the secret to your success! Positive thinking under any circumstance. thumbsup2.gif

Assume a non upgrade

Submission $55.00

Now a dipped Ike

Loss of $26

Loss of $26 for dipping

TRUTH

Truth

There's a flaw in your reasoning! Mormons don't gamble! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Are you sure?????????? grin.gif I spend a great deal of time in Utah and mix with many LDS. I listened one day to Doug Wright on KSL radio, Salt Lake City's largest talk show host, and he did a complete hour on LDS church and gambling. One thing he mentioned was that Idaho is part of the Mega Lotto system, and when the Jackpot gets up to zillions, many Utahns head up to a small town called Preston just on the Idaho side of the Utah/Idaho border. Doug Wright explained how the Idahoans call the LDS Utah gamblers Lotto Day Saints. I thought that rather funny, coming from a Mormon talk show host. smirk.gif

Coin related:

Mormon gold coinage is really cool and the $20 Mormon gold predates US $20 gold coinage by 2 years.

TRUTH

Are you sure?????????? grin.gif I spend a great deal of time in Utah and mix with many LDS. I listened one day to Doug Wright on KSL radio, Salt Lake City's largest talk show host, and he did a complete hour on LDS church and gambling. One thing he mentioned was that Idaho is part of the Mega Lotto system, and when the Jackpot gets up to zillions, many Utahns head up to a small town called Preston just on the Idaho side of the Utah/Idaho border. Doug Wright explained how the Idahoans call the LDS Utah gamblers Lotto Day Saints. I thought that rather funny, coming from a Mormon talk show host. smirk.gif

Coin related:

Mormon gold coinage is really cool and the $20 Mormon gold predates US $20 gold coinage by 2 years.

TRUTH

27_laughing.gif

Hopefully, no offense to anyone but I did do a little research. The article was about how the Mormons own half of Las Vegas but yet the church is strongly against gambling. As stated, that's only a rumer started by some tavern drinker.

Leo

I don't think this is accurate. The Deseret Mint was established in 1848 and began minting coins dated 1849. The earliest double eagles were dated 1849, which was the first date of the US double eagle so by this measure they are equal. Now these double eagles were trial strikes that were not struck until March 12, 1850, which may be as long as 2 years after the Mormons, if they actually struck their double eagles in 1848. However, the only evidence I could find is that the coins struck in 1848 dated 1849 were eagles, and the rest dated 1849 were struck the next year. So my best guess is that it might have been a year earlier for the actual striking, but since Congress authorized the double eagle in February 1849, it seems unlikely that the idea of a double eagle originated with the Mormons.

1849f.gif

This is from a coin website I found on the topic:

While no gold was discovered in Utah, Mormon prospectors brought large quantities of California gold back to the Salt Lake City area. Brigham Young conceived the idea of a distinctive Mormon coinage, and four denominations of two-and-one-half, five, ten, and twenty-dollar coins were struck in 1849-50. While the ten dollar pieces featured the legend PURE GOLD, the other denominations (which were struck later) displayed the initials G.S.L.C.P.G. These stood for “Great Salt Lake City Pure Gold,” an obvious misnomer as all the gold came from California. A second issue was produced in 1860 from bullion brought from strikes in Colorado. All the Mormon gold coins use religious symbols for the central design motifs, and the 1860 pieces use the Deseret alphabet (now extinct) to spell out the legend HOLINESS TO THE LORD. Mormon coins were the first of the Western territorials to be publicly vilified as lightweight and of low fineness. An assay performed on a group of more than $500 face value in Mormon coins in 1851 found the average ten-dollar piece contained only $8.52 in gold. When these figures became public knowledge, the coins were discounted 20-25% by bankers and merchants. Widespread melting followed, and today Mormon gold pieces are very rare, although circulated fives occasionally appear.

"Mormons don't gamble. . ." 27_laughing.gif

I've been gambling I'd have this Dec 10th Submission back in time for Long Beach coming up this Thursday.

(Update: "Quality Control" as of this morning. . .) Does NGC work on the weekends?!

The article was about how the Mormons own half of Las Vegas

I have lived here in Vegas on and off for over 20 years, and have not heard or seen any reference to this statement in that entire time. Maybe they just keep an extremely low profile.

While no gold was discovered in Utah, Mormon prospectors brought large quantities of California gold back to the Salt Lake City area. Brigham Young conceived the idea of a distinctive Mormon coinage, and four denominations of two-and-one-half, five, ten, and twenty-dollar coins were struck in 1849-50. While the ten dollar pieces featured the legend PURE GOLD, the other denominations (which were struck later) displayed the initials G.S.L.C.P.G. These stood for “Great Salt Lake City Pure Gold,” an obvious misnomer as all the gold came from California

Hmmmm - whoever wrote that article should have done a bit more research. For while it is true that gold was indeed imported from the surrounding states for the purpose of striking coins - the Church did operate several gold mines in Utah under the direction of Cecil B. Rhoades. Many of these mines were previously under control of the Spanish prior to the arrival of the Mormon settlers. And prior to that they were worked by the local Indian tribes who were subjugated by the Spaniards and forced to work as slave labor in the mines. I personally know of at least 2 of these mines that are still being worked today by private individuals.

The primary reason for the importation of gold was the refining of the ore - not because there was no gold in Utah.