• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts and Opinions on this Lincoln??

28 posts in this topic

I'm thinking MS-65, assuming surfaces are original. Obverse looks a tad fishy to me, in that it seems a hair too dull for the lack of contact marks. 65 over 66 as there is a nick on Lincoln's chin and a spot of some sort just over the tail of the left wheat stalk. The reverse color looks fine to me, and if it's just the angle that obscures the obverse, then I'd say RD, o/w RB.

Hey Bruce:

This mint was well struck overall, so I ended up looking for marks rather than at the devices.

From the pictures, the fields look very good. On the obverse I worry about the two spots around the date. On the reverse I worry about that one black speck under the first A in America. Is that a pit or just a bit of grit? The toning doesn't bother me, but it shouldn't be classified as red.

The only real issue I have with the coin is that gigantic gash on Lincoln's jawbone. Of course it had to be as conspicuous as possible right?

I'm no good with the numbers once a coin starts to look mint state so I'll end by calling it MS ?? RB

Couple of minor problems on this coin that make it a 64 imho. It wouldn't be a stretch to call this a 65. There is another mark I see that no one has mentioned, unless I misread. But there's a small mark at 2 o'c on the obverse to the east of Abe's brow. Is it tone? Is it a hit? Not sure. I don't mind the color, but I would call it an RB. I wouldn't mind it in my DANSCO if it were not that I had a red one in that spot. Also, the MM looks funny... is it possibly an RPM?

Don't think it's a brown, RB though.

Coindude,

the mintmark looks clean to me, and appears to be tilted (minor error worth no extra)

Not worth certifying IMO

It looks like a coin that started off at what would have been the equivalent of a 65RD grade and has since mellowed to RB. I don't understand the two replies even hinting at a "BN" designation - maybe their monitor is off, or mine.

It looks like a coin that started off at what would have been the equivalent of a 65RD grade and has since mellowed to RB. I don't understand the two replies even hinting at a "BN" designation - maybe their monitor is off, or mine.

It could also be my lack of experience with copper.

So this coin was sold by me to another dealer, who sent it to PCGS. They said MS67 Red, which made me laugh.. Red really?

You are full of copper knowledge when I post. Ha ha

Looks MS 65 red/brown to me. I like the strike and lack of abrasions but those images make it very difficult to judge luster and originality. That coin looks suspect and I would like to see it in hand. Based just on those images; I would not buy it.

That was post was also from 2009.

Looks MS 65 red/brown to me. I like the strike and lack of abrasions but those images make it very difficult to judge luster and originality. That coin looks suspect and I would like to see it in hand. Based just on those images; I would not buy it.

David Hall liked it in the 80's .. PCGS liked it, and most importantly I loved the coin and would buy 300 of them like that if I could. This coin was hammered. Worth the MS67 but not red in my eyes. Still a killer coin if you ask me.

David Hall liked it in the 80's .. PCGS liked it, and most importantly I loved the coin and would buy 300 of them like that if I could. This coin was hammered. Worth the MS67 but not red in my eyes. Still a killer coin if you ask me.

Well, that's good---at least it is in a well recognized TPGS slab. That doesn't mean that I would or wouldn't still like it any better in hand but at least that makes it worth more on the open market and more liquid.

Wow one of the best strikes I've seen even for a date that comes nice. What brought about reviving ths old thread lol.

Are you his guard dog with your nose up his all the time? Lack of experience yet knows it all. Just kidding. :)

Are you his guard dog with your nose up his all the time? Lack of experience yet knows it all. Just kidding. :)

Lack of experience in 2009 means absolutely nothing today. That was years ago - years which I have spent studying and learning and growing as a collector and a person.

GEEZ dont be a titty baby. I said it was a joke. Obviously your maturity shows how much you have grown. ;)

People think they can say whatever they want and get away with it by calling it a joke. Sorry if I don't let you get off that easily. You and I have had unresolved disagreements in the past - so as far as I am concerned you don't have the right to make disparaging or condescending jokes about me. If you don't like that, well, sorry.

No, but when he is right, he is right. I occasionally disagree with him, but more often than not, he is correct in his grading and other coin related skills.

Wow one of the best strikes I've seen even for a date that comes nice. What brought about reviving ths old thread lol.

Was digging around and found this. I sold the coin last year raw. Dealer got the MS 67 red.

When I looked at the image today I thought 67RD, then I saw that I posted 3 years ago at 65RD with questionable color. Since then I've come into contact with so many original rolls with toning like this throughout that I've realized it's natural. I wouldn't buy it personally but 67 doesn't stun me at all now.