• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dansco Dilemma

11 posts in this topic

The Dansco Dilemma

One of the things I love to see is completed Dansco sets filled with X-F to BU+ coins. Old sets are particularly interesting. When you open that puppy, the coins grab you; not any single one, but the enjoyment set level viewing offers our coin acumen.

(My) Dansco set is the complete Liberty V Nickels with the obvious exception. As a side bar, “should I get one of those “1913 replicas” just for fun?

The V’s are VF-20 to BU+, the rarer coins are the 1885, 1886 and 1912S which represent the lowest grades among the set. Generally the more common issues are in AU to BU at my present skill. I want to complete the set with upgrades for my 1884, 1894, and 1898, 1912D.

A southern coin company sells these coins raw on a popular auction site but I have been bottom bidder for these coins because the coins are imaged in “enhancement mode” that does not make good numismatics sense to me. To be fair “I am southern” (pardon the expression), and have made “in my view” nice purchase from south of the border coins. But I can admire very nice AU to BU “certified” coins in auctions that primarily deal in PCGS and NGC examined coins.

In fact, my recent coin acquisition was exactly that: a holdered 1899 V MS64 graded PCGS style from the inheritance auction site.

But perhaps “shamefully” I want to “crack” that holder when it gets here to my door and insert that sweetie right next to the BU+ 1895, 1896, and 1897, already in my deluxe Dansco making at nice 6 coin gem row right across the middle of the page.

(Insert yodel)

I understand the potential investment ramification of de-holdering a coin, but in the name of other ambitions concerning one’s collection does it make sense to insert a “cracked” certified coin to the level of Dansco set collection? A collection that only wants to make a nice smile on any soul's face that “gets” what we like about them: artistic, beautifully shiny, and historical with substantive precious metal and interesting metallurgy.

Crack or not to crack and the applicable examination of common sense has me stumped!

The set is a completion that only waits the future long term. I am interested in coins being high grade with good eye appeal but at the same time “budget managed”.

(Insert big sigh)

Did I mention the 6 coin Gem Row, right across the middle of the page?

(Insert Cloud)

Thanks Forum

I have a completed jefferson dansco that has 2 jeffs in it cracked from pcgs slabs. I took the labels and taped them in the back of the album. Crack'em if ya wanna fill the hole!

I have a completed jefferson dansco that has 2 jeffs in it cracked from pcgs slabs. I took the labels and taped them in the back of the album. Crack'em if ya wanna fill the hole!
Thanks Bobby! I would love to introduce you to my Taylor 814C, we 'd be pickin and grinnin in no time. John Prine type licks and lyrics. Love your commentary!

Crack it! Enjoy it!

You only live once. Hold that actual coin in your hand and slip it gently into that Dansco....

MM

The answer to your question is whether the potential difference in resale is more or less important than the sentimental value you receive. There is no correct answer to that question because it is completely subjective.

To me, there is never any decision to make because I am an economic optimizer. Every single coin whose marketability will be enhanced will eventually end up in a holder, though there are many coins I own that I never intend to sell. (That is, the incremental sales price will more than offset the grading fee.) It would be economically irrational not to do so.

And unlike many collectors on this board, I also prefer the "look" of coins in the holders though I admit that it is more cumberesome to store, transport and view them.

Thanks Bobby! I would love to introduce you to my Taylor 814C, we 'd be pickin and grinnin in no time. John Prine type licks and lyrics. Love your commentary!

Excellent idea taping the labels to the back of the album.

And Taylor's are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G guitars. I have a friend who had one custom made from Koa wood.

Possibly the nicest acoustic guitar I have played in my entire life.

And I'm REALLY old! :laugh:

Once I've decided a coin should be in my Dansco, there's no hesitation. I crack it out and throw away the insert. Who cares what "someone else" graded it? If I am going to keep it forever, it doesn't matter!

Crack and enjoy, I say.

I agree! Crack it out. I routinely fill my dansco albums with holdered coins. You might even get an upgrade if you try and get it back into plastic on down the road. Its a good way to learn how to grade.