• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1833 dime found with metal detector

12 posts in this topic

Was lucky enough to, literally, dig up this coin today. It still has some dirt adhering to the surface which makes a grade from pictures hard. All I did was rinse under the tap and lightly blot dry. I figure it will need to go NCS to get cleaned. In my experience with dug coins, there could be some luster hiding under the soil, which would make this quite a nice coin.

Wanted to post and see what opinions were for the grade, options for cleaning, and maybe the variety?

My gut feel is XF might be a a reach, but it depends on how it looks after the dirt is off the surface. I realize much of this will be speculation. I just don't have the references or expertise for this old a coin.

Thanks for your help.

-Nick

1833a.jpg

1833b.jpg

I'd say the sharpness grade is EF, but it won't slab because of environmental damage. That is a great find, however. I'd say the coin was probably lost in 1835 or '36. It doesn't have much wear.

I know many dug coins do have enviromental damage, but silver coins (at least from around here) generally come out of the ground very clean and with no corrosion problems, unlike copper or nickel coins. In looking at it with the loupe, I think this one will clean well from NCS and will fly otherwise I would not even have started the discussion.

I did find a few references to JR types online and think it may be a JR10?

Dont slab it , keep this one raw. Great find !!

Curious why you would not slab? After NCS does it work, it should have nice stable surfaces, so that would be an ideal time to slab. My intention for the slab is mainly protection to preserve the condition, as I do not intend to sell the coin anytime soon. I am interested in hearing your insight on this.

I think that the surfaces problems I see around the stars and especially around the word "AMERICA" on the reverse are more than skin deep. I'm not so sure than NCS will want to work on it, and if they do, I'm so sure that you will be happy with the results.

Wouldn't an oil bath remove any of the stuck on dirt? I would try that first before spending a whole bunch of money on trying to get it into a slab.

I don't know if I would keep this raw. With it being a detector find, it may have some environmental damage that may only get worse and eventually destroy the coin. If it's worth the money to you, I'd send it to NCS. JMO