• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is going on with this 1902-O Morgan in a PCGS holder? Opinions, please....

13 posts in this topic

Well I do agree with all the hairlines. I'm surprised it made it into a slab if those are on the coin, but to your question, looks like some sort of spotting going on. It also looks like some sort of spots on the edges of the slab. Is this inside the slab also? Whatever it is on the edges of the slab may have gotten on the coin and turning darker. (shrug)

It may just be the picture but it look like there is a D next to the D in Dollar.

Was the coin dipped to give it the PL look and now it is starting to wear.

It wierd on the reverse above States, it looks like the PL surface is flaking off.

I don't like the black spots on the coin.

edit: What are all of those spots in the ring holding the coin.

This looks like dip discoloration and staining, and it may or may not be permanent/irreversable (most of it woul probably NOT come off with conservation). All the other mentioned issues are mint made and typical of a PL coin.

My opinion is this coin had heavy toning and was dipped or cleaned to try and restore it. Unfortunately, the toning or some other sort of surface contaminant had already begun eating in to the surface of the coin and damaged the delicate mirrors. The orangey toning around the edges points to some sort of dip as well.

I see nothing wrong with the coin other than it's starting to haze/re-tone after an old dipping.

The "hairlines" appear to me to be die polish.

Looks like the surfaces have been etched from either dipping a dark toned coin or PVC damage.

If it was lackluster, I'd agree, but otherwise it appears like some I've seen right out of a mint bag- what with that hazy brownish/whitish spotty film.

lots of contaminent not rinsed off/removedfrom thefirst dipping of the coin which leads to hazing and funky surfaces that are turning in on themselves really bad