• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great article on the 1933 Saints in Coin World 8/3 issue......

7 posts in this topic

I just received my August 3 issue of Coin World. There is a great story, cover story, on the Twenty Dollar Saints of 1933. Of course, we all know about the current court case.

After reading this story, I think it is entirely possible that legal issues of these coins could exist.

We shall see what we shall see when the ruling comes down in the coming months.

For anyone interested, this story is a great read.

Paul

It was a great article, and I read today that the judge in the case ruled that the mint had to go through a forfeiture hearing where the Mint would have to prove to a jury that the coins were stolen! Here is a link to the article:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iNa23R6oJQcat8uERblqfb3k2N4wD99PMNI02

Wow, that's huge.

I thought that letter from the director that talked about a gold exchange would open the door for the Langbords. It did seem to indicate that there was a small window, 4 weeks or so, that those coins, or more, could have legally gotten out.

This is good news. Unless, of course, you're the owner of 'THE' other 1933......

Paul

Wow, that's huge.

I thought that letter from the director that talked about a gold exchange would open the door for the Langbords. It did seem to indicate that there was a small window, 4 weeks or so, that those coins, or more, could have legally gotten out.

This is good news. Unless, of course, you're the owner of 'THE' other 1933......

Paul

That is the risk the owner of the only 1933 legal coin or anyone takes by making this type of deal with the government. They could lose big time.

As for this case, I have heard of it though I'm not familiar with the details. Regardless, I think the burden of prrof should be on the government as in most every other case under this legal system. I say "most" because that does not apply to the IRS or with (what I consider to be the unconstitutional) "asset forfeiture" laws.

or imminent domain....

I have been following this for years and remember the excitement when they were "discovered". It gave me a moment to fantasize that those stories of rich Uncles and Grandpas with hidden treasures discovered and bequeathed after their death, these things really do happen !! Then the government just confiscated them...and I believe that if they do win rights to them in court, they may simply destroy them...strangely enough ( but not really if you've been following our governments fiscal abilities) if they lose the case, they will probably pay the family half value and then destroy the coins anyhow...

With 40 million, I think they'd recoup their legal fees. This all about the money anyways, the gold coins are nothing to them except money in the bank. cha-ching

Me on the other hand, I'd keep all ten together and exhibit the lot for others to witness. (sure, I'd accept fees paid by promoters to help defray the costs and the security required in today’s environment, but if they were heisted, I'd still have the book and movie rights)