• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 1877 IHC a fake or real?

16 posts in this topic

I understand from Rick Snows article that the last feather should be between the I and C in America rather than the C and A as is this one. Just curious.

Jim

Ebay

Going by the bidding so far you aren't the only one who has reservations. I would expect much higher bids this late in the auction. Something doesn't seem right about it.

This is a coin that you should not need to look at the diagnostics to tell it is a counterfeit. The wear pattern is all wrong. A ton of detail on everything but the Indian should be a big red flag. Wear on the Indian of a VG10, but the rest of the coin as mint state.

I always wonder when the bidding history list is blocked as "private" whether I'm being schilled also..what's to hide?

I always wonder when the bidding history list is blocked as "private" whether I'm being schilled also..what's to hide?

All IDs are hidden now, so no need to use the private feature to shill. The only thing private auctions do is partially hide the auction when feedback is given.

It's very obviously a fake. As mentioned before, the last feather in the headdress is in the wrong spot.

No further diagnostics needed (though it's fun to compare.)

The real question is, what sort of greed compelled the high bidders to bid a fake coin, worth maybe 5 cents, to $268....?

That's what I want to know.

How about stupidity mixed with greed?

Here is a coin that would normally sell for $1,100 or $1,200 and they are getting it for the bargain price of only $268.

BTW I'm pretty sure that this one is from the Chinese mint. They might be getting better at producing "circulated" coins.