• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spotted in the cash register at Rite Aide

17 posts in this topic

Got this in change the other day at the Pharmacy. It made my day.

I guess the silver is still out there...maybe I better start checking rolls again??

Haven't added anything new to my U.S. type set, but the music coin set is growing rapidly. When the last 5 or 6 pieces that I am waiting for arrive, I will post all of the new additions. There are a few real beauties, mainly from old Soviet block countries. RI AL

half-1.jpg

half2-1.jpg

RI Al

Nice pickup Al!

Its odd, I have been finding alot of nice older coins in circulation.

Why is it that I have been finding more wheat pennys then 2009 pennys?

I realize that, however wouldn't it make more sence to hoard Wheats than the new pennies? lol

Of course I have been hoarding all of the pennies I have been getting. :blush:

sweet

and i bet they were happy to get rid of it ie. sell it to you for 50 cents

same thing happened to me at a 7-11 a few years ago some older man wanted to spend a walker in choice au cashier would not take it nor the manager

they said it was not real and/or foreign

i said to them and the old man okie i will be happy to buy it for 50 cents which everyone agreed to

as i told them it is an older usa silver half dollar and it was real of course they did not believe me and they all laughed

but in the end

everyone was happy :applause:

...as i told them it is an older usa silver half dollar and it was real of course they did not believe me and they all laughed...

I am constantly amazed at the ignorance of the general public regarding coins and paper money.

Are we really that much smarter? :grin:

Yesterday I saw a $2 bill with Monticello on the back in a tip jar at the restaurant I had lunch at. I would have gone for it, but since it was in the tip jar I figured people get a little protective...

I realize that, however wouldn't it make more sence to hoard Wheats than the new pennies? lol

Of course I have been hoarding all of the pennies I have been getting. :blush:

I don't think it's a case of hoarding 2009 cents at this point, but rather the banking system is not getting the coins into circulation. The banks are backed up with stocks of the coins, and simply don't have a need for new coins at this time.

Nice pickup Al. I usually pick up two to three silver pieces a week where I work. A few Kennedy halves, several quarters, some dimes, and occasionally war nickels. This week I only found two dimes, but one was a 1950 in MS condition.

I would have to say that about half of what I find comes in rolls from the bank, and the other half comes from customers. This is working only part time at a liquor store in NJ, so I can only imagine how much more I would come across if I was there regularly.

I remember back in my college days, my girl friend and I (now wife of 35 years) used to go to the National Bank in Tallahassee and buy rools of half dollars (early-mid 1970's...yes...I'm officially an "antique") lug them to a cheap dinner and check for silver. Back then it was like shooting fish in a barrel finding a good number of 90%ers but gradually ther 40% pieces took over. Even back as recently as 10 years ago, my son and I would hit the local banks and do the 1/2 dollar rolls and there were still plenty of 40% half dollars. Recently, I found 3 40% half dollars in $300 worth or rolls. A lot of work for verly little payback...but the fun is in the hunt.

Let's see...today a 40% half dollar is worth approximately $2.05, a rate of 410% growth over face value. I wonder how that holds up against inflation from, say...1975? Heck...maybe I LOST value! :o

RI AL

Way to go, Al! I also check halves and have only found one Franklin and that was two months ago. The coins that I get rarely yield 90% silver halves.

A few weeks back I bought the Sunday news for $1.25 , paid with two dollar bills and received three SBA Dollars as my change. We all remember the problems the Susie B's caused & how similar they looked to quarters but now with all the state quarters & territorial quarters people don't even look twice

...now with all the state quarters & territorial quarters people don't even look twice

You are absolutely right. I constantly get SBA dollars from customers who think they are quarters, but I always let them know they are not. If I didn't I would feel like I was stealing from them. On the other hand, I almost never tell someone they just handed me silver. Is that wrong? hm